Recent content by Toronto_Vento

1. Toronto_Vento

FS: 2001 Jetta TDI

Darren, it was a great car to me, and I didn't do a heck of a lot of changes to the car beyond how I got it. Age started to simply catch up to it, and it was time for something new. Miss the old car from time to time, but bought myself something else to put a lot of smiles on my face. More...
  2. Toronto_Vento

Thank you everyone for looking. Car was sold. Surprised at the level of interest from people on kijiji (and to be honest the market price of the car). Sold for nearly double what I was asking for on here. Learned a lesson, as I started out this process assuming I'd be getting salvage value for a...
  3. Toronto_Vento

Thank you for all the PMs and interest thus far. Car still available, so has been posted on Kijiji. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1291760162&requestSource=b Kijiji has pics. Rust areas are behind the front mudflaps and for some reason behind the handle on the drivers side rear...
  4. Toronto_Vento

Hello everyone. I know I have fallen off the face of the earth for a few years and that was more life related than car related. I'm still driving my 01 TDI and have enjoyed my time with it. I recently switched jobs and am full time on the GO Train now, so the diesel engine isn't really needed...
  5. Toronto_Vento

Why is Esso so $$$

Depends on area and location. There's an Esso near me which is consistently cheaper for gas and diesel than anyone else in the area. Sometimes to the tune of 4-5c/L. A Petro Canada has started to match the price (good alternative to avoid the crazy lines which form at this Esso location), but...
  6. Toronto_Vento

US Recall

Just started getting news reports that VW Canada is ceasing sales of diesel vehicles. Noticed it mentioned here already that the TDI information has been pulled from the website. Crazy! Such a hit for a company which was pushing to be #1 car maker in the world. Maybe my '01 will be worth more...
  7. Toronto_Vento

Clutch fried, car dead

My '01 still keeps going, but it's definitely getting long in the tooth. Just strange things popping up that don't affect the driveability of the car, just annoyances. As long as repairs are reasonable, I'll try my best to keep her going, but come any major repairs needed and I'll definitely be...
  8. Toronto_Vento

Need Help - AUDI A6 2.5 TDI OBD

I had an issue with my tuned MKIV where the tune was blocking the rediness code which the emissions computer was looking for. Ended up buying a stock ECM and swapping it out to get the test done. Not sure if there's a way for the ministry to issue some kind of notification to bypass due to it...
  9. Toronto_Vento

What's with diesel price now?

Agreed that the diesel price just doesn't seem to get any relief. Never came down as hard as gas when oil price crashed, and has always stayed higher than gas (or at best in line) in the area around Richmond Hill (at least the ones I've noticed). Weirdest thing I remember was a trip a few years...
  10. Toronto_Vento

Cost of a Jetta windshield in canada?

I have a large crack on my windshield and did not affect my emissions test. Chip did, but grabbing a stock ECM helped me pass.
  11. Toronto_Vento

Recommendations for alignment shop in north GTA?

If you are ever in the area (not really close to you), Woodbridge alignment is a great shop. Maybe someone can chime in with a place closer to Newmarket.
  12. Toronto_Vento

Euro import insurance

Any issues with the European cars and emissions testing? It's OBDII in Ontario now rather than visual. Doubt that the stock European programming would mess with the emissions computer, though (just needs to check EGR, idle, VIN etc).
  13. Toronto_Vento

High Beams only

Bulb! Common for bulbs to go in this manner.
  14. Toronto_Vento

Quick question about Codes and ECU...

To get the ECU out, it's easier to take off the windshield wipers and pull off the plastic cowl at the base of the windshield. In terms of switching over, it depends on which immobilizer version you have. Immobilizer 2 instructions: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/immobilizer2.html...
  15. Toronto_Vento

Need help with ECM swap

So, an update after all this work. I went back to Mike at the source and got a replacement ECM, no questions asked. Put it in and while the car still runs "lumpy", it was not nearly as bad as with the previous computer and didn't throw a check engine light. Ended up getting the car hooked up...