Recent content by Tom_B

1. T

Lights for cold/hot air, fan, and venting

There's a small bulb under the fan speed knob I believe. Do some searching, cheap and easy to replace. A small piece of surgical tube helps in removing and replacing the bulb.
  2. T

Please review Engine Code P0299 - Turbo Boost issue.

Speaking only with experience from my car, that code can be produced by many things including both the vacuum system and the charge air path. Before replacing the turbo it may be worthwhile to confirm there are no leaks in either system. Also check the nipple on the tandem pump to make sure...
  3. T

Should I consider high mileage Touareg?

We are on our 3rd Touareg TDI. They have all been great vehicles but they are complicated and expensive to repair and maintain. We sold our first one back to VW with just under 150k miles, the others have not traveled that far yet. Personally I would not consider one with that high of mileage...
  4. T

VAG 3.0 TDI Real World MPG

I drive our A6 60 miles round trip to work every day, about 50/50 rural backroads and urban freeways. I get about 35 calculated for year-round mpg. Long trips, 38 is easy, 40 is not too difficult. We had a B5.5 TDI that got very similar mileage under the same conditions, except that 40 was...
  5. T

05 sedan

pm sent
  6. T

DeNOx Catalyst on Backorder... GRRR

We had a Tiguan loaner for 5 months while dealer worked through warranty covered issues with our Touareg. It was a decent vehicle but we were glad to get the Treg back.
  7. T

Advice on first TDI

I haven't owned a NMS Passat, but two carseats in the back of a Touareg is very uncomfortable for an adult middle rider, even for a very short trip. Don't think it would even accommodate a 3rd carseat. I would be surprised if a NMS had substantially more backseat room than a Touareg, specs...
  8. T

Dallas Area Mechanics for TDI (2000 Jetta)?

See also the related N TX/DFW/OKC thread.
  9. T

TDI shops in northern Texas/DFW or Oklahoma city?

Welcome. The shop is Pierce Family Automotive, there is no longer a "DSPauto" shop. The last time they did work for me their shop was in the south end of the building. The may have possibly expanded to the north, but in either case it's PFA. I suspect you will get Robert if you use either...
  10. T

Who made their mk4 TDI their daily driver?

We got our 2004 Jetta back running well and I drove it daily for a few months, saving another newer TDI that's still well within settlement warranty in the garage. Then I realized I had it backwards, decided to shake out the bugs in the newer TDI before the time or mileage ran out. I plan to...
  11. T

TDI shops in northern Texas/DFW or Oklahoma city?

DSPauto is no more. It's now Pierce Family Automotive just off I-35 in Denton, Robert and his team definitely know VW/Audi TDIs.
  12. T

Turbo intake hard pipe melted

OH can weigh in as to whether the following is really important, but it has worked for me. There is a specified sequence for installation to limit stress (starting on p.12 of the link below). Years ago I had the lower pipe break several times after the EGR cooler recall. I eventually got the...
  13. T

Rack and pinion MK4 Jetta

I installed the same AEE PN on my 2004 Jetta TDI this year, no conflicts.
  14. T

Keep Getting underboost engine code

Underboost is often related to charge air path leaks, but there can be many possibilities. You mention the boost hoses and vacuum lines look ok, but looks don't always tell you what you need to know. It may be useful to use Canadian Grizzly's excellent summary to verify it's not a control...
  15. T

2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

I presume you've researched the Cayenne and it's TDI siblings (Q7 & Touareg) and have a sense of what you would consider the "expensive things." Even standard maintenance such as oil changes (8qts), tire wear and replacement, brakes, and on and on, result in costs in a different league to any...