Recent content by tnp

1. tnp

WTB: ALH Fuel Pump

My Fuel Pump is dripping fuel like a running faucet. Looking to purchase one, have someone rebuild this one, or trade for a good one. Thanks!
  2. tnp

Need New/Used ALH Engine!!!

Yeah, I know that now, my friend. I didn't have any idea it was that bad. I was less then 5 min from my destination.... Can't cry over that. Just wondering if anyone knows where I can find an engine... Thanks!
  3. tnp

Need New/Used ALH Engine!!!

Hey Everyone... My Beetle TDI died on the freeway the other day. The oil light went on and then 2 miles later, it died. Luckily coasted to an exit... just made it!! The mechanic said that the O-Rings on the oil cooler failed and all the oil came out of the engine within a couple minutes...
  4. tnp

hypermilling ??? WT#$@#

Super-high economy takes a lot of patience - a lot of practice - and a lot of time to master techniques. I used to be super aggressive on driving. My tanks used to average in the mid-30's MPG. It's just so easy to drive like a maniac out there. It's tough to maximize MPG. Once starting the...
  5. tnp

Thermostat Change for Better MPG???

Thanks David for the support! Much appreciated. While there isn't a throttle, Air Flow is most certainly an adjustable quantity. Anyone who has access to a Vag-Com can certainly see this move up and down. The hotter the engine, it is likely that a "leaner" mixture can be made. That may be a...
  6. tnp

Thermostat Change for Better MPG???

I believe there are 4 different thermostats for our AHU and ALH engines. 71C, 80C, 87C, and 92C. The fan switch is then supposed to turn on at 100C or 102C and then turn off at 95C On my Vag-Com, my max coolant temp always seems to be in the upper 70's. I've tested it now last winter and now...
  7. tnp

August 2008 Mileage Thread

Driver: tnp Miles: 474.8 Gallons: 7.237 Model Year: 2000 Model: New Beetle Tranny: M5 Fuel Type: ULSD MPG: 65.607 Wahoo! My first 65 tank! Gotta raise the bar and go for 70 now. :)
  8. tnp

ECU remap via OBD port?

This kit sounds interesting. Was wondering if anyone had a link to this product. I didn't see it on their website... Thanks...
  9. tnp

Acetone in diesel fuel for more mpgs

Quote from Nicklard Quote from TDIJetta99 What has troubled me in this nice thread is all of the folks who are claiming increases or no differences on a tank or two. There are way way too many variables - weather conditions/temperatures, driving styles, routes, etc - to really allow anyone...
  10. tnp

July 2008 Mileage Competition

Driver: tnp Miles: 506.2 Gallons: 8.371 Model Year: 2000 Model: New Beetle TDI Tranny: 5M Fuel Type: ULSD MPG: 60.471 Yay! My first 60 MPG Tank... Next goal is 65! :)
  11. tnp

Beetle Drag Reducer

Hey Everyone! I have a 2000 Beetle and Cd (Coefficient of Drag) is calculated to be 0.38 while the Jetta is at 0.30. My research indicates that this is mainly because of it's "bubble" shape, instead of it's shape being more like an airfoil. I read somewhere that putting a spoiler on the...
  12. tnp

Beetle Mpg

With all due respect, venting doesn't appear to improve gas mileage at all. All it does is allow more fuel in the tank, which adds weight, and thus reduces fuel economy. Or, am I wrong on this? I've got a 2000 Beetle that I used to run really hard - lucky to get in the 30's on MPG. My last...
  13. tnp

June 2008 Mileage Competition

Driver: tnp Miles: 714.2 Gallons: 12.169 Model Year: 2000 Model: Beetle TDI Tranny: 5 Speed Manual Fuel Type: ULSD MPG: 58.69 mpg Hoping to get over 60 on the next fill-up... :)
  14. tnp

Rolling Resistance - Actual Measurements!

Hey everyone. My original tires are getting low and I was shopping for some LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) Tires as replacements. I eventually ran into this great study from GreenSeal.org. They actually measured and tested tires that mfg's claim as LRR. I think this would be very helpful for...
  15. tnp

Is summer diesel back??

If you're looking for a small/tiny reduction in your cost of fuel, fill up your tank in the early morning or late in the evening. Essentially, fill up your car in the absolutely coolest portion of your day (or week) as possible. Things expand with heat. Cooler fuel is more dense. You get...