Recent content by Thorne

1. Thorne

Last year for TDI with transfer case?

I'd like to move to a Touareg TDI for towing, but would like a real transfer case to deal with backing trailers up a steep driveway. Anyone know the last model to have a real transfer case? I've been researching what specs I can find online and it looks like after 2009 but before 2013? EDITED...
  2. Thorne

Last year for TDI with transfer case?

I'd like to move to a Touareg TDI for towing, but would like a real transfer case to deal with backing trailers up a steep driveway. Anyone know the last model to have a real transfer case? I've been researching what specs I can find online and it looks like after 2009 but before 2013? A...
  3. Thorne

Any fuel additive to replace biodiesel?

Thanks, guys! I did poke around in the lubricity threads but only found info on...lubricity, not swelling seals. I'll recommend using Redline or other additives if they can't get BD, and going for the seal replacement if that doesn't work. Anyone have experience with Bell's "Dee-Zol" additive?
  4. Thorne

Any fuel additive to replace biodiesel?

Been running mostly B99 for a number of years, and am finally selling my 2003 Jetta TDI 5-speed wagon with 211k. Many of the interested buyers don't live near a biodiesel station or want to run bio consistently. Are there any diesel additives that not only replace the lubricity but also the...
  5. Thorne

Front end lift. What is the largest spacer you can put on?

The Metanerd 2" lift kit includes some special parts that I think are required to go over 1-1.5". Check out their site, but there are a few threads on this lift here also.
  6. Thorne

Beef on a Budget. VR6/Wagon springs

I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on the Koni STR.T set from idparts in comparison to buying the Bilstein TC shocks and struts individually. The Bilsteins are a bit more, but idparts mentions that the Koni STR.T is rated for the heavy springs...
  7. Thorne

Coil spring recommendation

Thanks! I'm looking for as much lift as I can get, as when I load up the wagon and tow a heavy wooden boat on a heavy trailer, the whole cars sinks way down and the back end of my TDI wagon tends to scrape on any slope and is hard to get the trailers on and off the ball hitch.
  8. Thorne

Trailer lights problem - on road trip

You may want to try a powered converter - I've had good luck with the Hopkins 46365 Short Proof Power Converter from Amazon. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=210729&page=3 A worse case scenario is to build a light board and mount it on the trailer -- doesn't meet the sidelight...
  9. Thorne

Curt hitch install on 03 Jetta TDI wagon

Yes it is the Hopkins 46365 Short Proof Power Converter, and it works great after nearly a year of frequent use.
  10. Thorne

Coil spring recommendation

Sticking with the cheapness theme, what Monroe struts and shocks would be recommended to work best with the VR6 springs on front and Jetta Euro Wagon springs on rear? IDparts.com has the former for $130, and the OEM rear towing springs for $110 or Euro rear towing springs for $220, but I'm not...
  11. Thorne

Help ! Injector Pump Seal Leaks

I may give this rebuild service a try My IP is leaking from the top end somewhere, per Tomas Sport Tuning in Berkeley, so just replacing the bottom seal isn't an option. I'll try the "Healing with Biodiesel" as described in the YouTube video posted by BioDiesel' above, as recently I've been...
  12. Thorne

How far can you go before changing the timing belt?

Oooopsie, I had had it done at 76k, not 100k as I remembered, so it has been WAY too long. Quote from Tomas Sport Tuning in Berkeley is $1600, but much cheaper than waiting for it to fail..
  13. Thorne

How far can you go before changing the timing belt?

Gotta love this old thread! I'll make a guess that my 2003 Jetta TDI wagon should have the timing belt replaced fairly soon at 204k. Had the first one done right at 100k, don't drive it too hard but I do tow small boats and a utility trailer. Had a friend lose the tb on their gasser 2003...
  14. Thorne

Sunroof Malfunction, 2003 Golf 4dr

Since the motor is fine, I'm assuming the part I need is what the dealer calls "the cover", as that's the only part that they can find other than the $600 motor.
  15. Thorne

Sunroof Malfunction, 2003 Golf 4dr

I'm wondering what the solution to this issue is, other than a junkyard visit. Mine did all the described things with the angled-up position - not closing all the way, trying to close and then reopening, plus opening and closing all on its own. No problems with the fully-open or -closed...