Recent content by themightyquinn

1. T

Help select clutch BHW FHN

As most of our cars are put together with used parts (and the OEM shifter parts, like the nylon gearshift lever/ball, are growing increasingly NLA) there's probably a good amount who would be interested in seeing a thread documenting your enhancement to the available parts. I've seen the zip...
  2. T

W8 Passat cluster to TDI Passat

I just did this over the weekend. Took me longer than it should have as the retaining clip on the green instrument cluster plug broke and I thought I had it fully seated but it wasn't, so I got a bunch of weird errors (oil pressure/immobilizer/etc warnings) that I chalked up to something wrong...
  3. T

Yeah, I think the RS4 clutch is the way to go. The B7 has some advantages -- lower cost, metal SAC mechanism, increased torque holding capacity, but the B5 is a basically bolt on setup and should still be more than potent enough for anything Stage 1/2 BHW. Thank you again for the info, it was...
  4. T

Puzzling ABS fault after B5 manual swap

So is this implying that the tuner used a european software base to do the flashing and thus there's no way to fix it on the user end without changing to a different tuner? I have the same issue. It's not a huge deal, I can live with the light I suppose (or at least desolder it), but if it's...
  5. T

Car's all back together, RS4 clutch works well.
  6. T

I've been holding off posting because I wasn't sure it would work, but wanted to throw this out there for people to consider before splashing out on other options. I'm still not sure as I didn't finish everything today, but my new flywheel and clutch are bolted up, and I should finish the last...
  7. T

Another manual swap

I'm pretty sure the other 3 correspond to the cruise switch positions. Cruise on/off, Cruise set, Cruise resume/adjust. FWIW on my manual swap cruise worked just with the standard VAG-COM programming. The only reason I ultimately got a tune (DUK trans) was for the RPM drop when shifting
  8. T

Buyer beware clutch masters fx300 with Whitbread flywheel

Thanks for popping in with the info, much appreciated!
  9. T

Windshield cowl part 3B1819415EB41 discontinued?

I have a couple of good used ones at my garage, shipping might be expensive given the size though.
  10. T

I'm pretty sure the OEM 240mm options require the spacer and the starter. The Whitbread and those designed as conversions for 1.8T cars (ECS RA4, TTV 240mm) based on the distributive property should just bolt on (i.e. they don't require mods on the B5 1.8T cars). Would love to know the answers...
  11. T

Buyer beware clutch masters fx300 with Whitbread flywheel

I don't think so. I think the best $900 option, especially if you want a DMF, is to get the Sachs SRE setup ($640) with a Sachs or LUK DMF ($210). You get DMF smoothness and 310 ft/lbs of torque holding from an OEM supplier. Another option would be to buy the same stock DMF and just buy the...
  12. T

Quickest way to get a replacement clutch?!

Thanks for the feedback, I assumed they were essentially relining the disc and rebuilding the pressure plate so used/new wouldn't matter. I'll give them a call and get more details. $500+ is kind of the point where I'm inclined to just look at the SRE or figure out a 240mm option. Thank you...
  13. T

Quickest way to get a replacement clutch?!

I've got maybe 5-10K on my Sachs 1.9TDI 228mm clutch kit. It's been slipping in 3rd and 4th when I hit peak torque for a little while now. I generally baby it, but sometimes it pops up when I'm trying to merge or similar. I assume I can send my current PP and clutch disk in and have them...
  14. T

I did my DUK conversion about 10K miles ago (if that). I have a little flare of slippage in 3rd and 4th sometimes at full throttle around 2-3K rpm so Stage 1 and it seems like the 1.9TDI Sachs flywheel set that I thought would hold up to the rigors of BHW usage doesn't. I was just going to...
  15. T

Manual popping out of gear

Thank you for the input, the problem seems to be present without the linkage connected so I think that must not be the problem -- having the shift linkage connected does seem to exacerbate the issue though, but just because the extra weight seems to place more pull on the selector shaft. I'm...