Recent content by taleAwaggin

1. taleAwaggin

What is the latest on TDI swaps into old classic air cooled VWs?

Seems that standalone still isn't really a thing in tdi swaps. I was hoping there would like a magic pill inexpensive one out there. I will keep reading. https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/tdi-alh-standalone-engine-management-system.391557/...
  2. taleAwaggin

What is the latest on TDI swaps into old classic air cooled VWs?

Is this in any way easier in 2023 than decades past? Or if TDI swaps are too difficult or too costly, what is the go to high fuel efficiency swap for the old air cooled bodies? I have seen adapters at these links: https://www.kennedyeng.com/engine-adapters...
  3. taleAwaggin

Lift for TDI Sportwagen (for oversize tires)

Seems to me that 6mt with large heavy 27" all terrain tires, you would have to fry your clutch to get any technical low mph work done. I don't mind being wrong which is why I ask these things instead of assuming.
  4. taleAwaggin

Frequency of failure for particulate filter and high pressure pump

Pano has issues too. But if you are not ocd about interior niceness you can just rip the pano fabric out rather than shell out hundreds of dollars or invest a bunch of diy hours on a fix. Slick tops can be difficult to find, its going to narrow your pool of options down.
  5. taleAwaggin

TDIClub Secret Society of Benz Owners (SSBO)

Mine is the five cylinder btw. I saw this kit for the five on the interwebs a few days ago, it tells the story: https://www.millionmilesprinter.com/product-page/the-medium-spare-parts-kit-the140 Coldside hoses and muffler go 60, sensors and relays 80, elbows 150 miles.
  6. taleAwaggin

TDIClub Secret Society of Benz Owners (SSBO)

A few plugs, similar story here. For me the voltage regulators on the alt seem to go out early. Same with some of the sensors, crank and cam come to mind. Oh and the intake hoses split very early along with the intake muffler.
  7. taleAwaggin

2022 preferred shift points, cruise and accel rpm windows? Effect on efficiency?

When I got the car I think it had 225-45-17 and now it has 215-60-16. Calc says 1.19" increase. I will probably end up with 215-65-16 when the time comes for new tires. Yes I mentioned it specifically because I figured it could effect the ideal rpm range versus other people browsing through...
  8. taleAwaggin

2022 preferred shift points, cruise and accel rpm windows? Effect on efficiency?

Nothing too crazy IIRC an inch or two more on tire circumference vs what it had.
  9. taleAwaggin

Yes in my case 6m cjaa, but of course feel free to discuss other models in the thread. I also lived a past life in the gasoline world in which high throttle at low rpm served me well on efficiency. That seems to be a mistake with the TDI from what I have experienced with my car. I will...
  10. taleAwaggin

I don't remember posting this in the mk7 forum. What I meant by putting 2022 in the thread title was "Conidering the 2022 higher gas prices where should we be shifting." That kind of thing. I'm not sure if the thread was moved here because of that 2022 part. What the past few weeks have...
  11. taleAwaggin

Ok Mongler I will try 3500 from today and see how that goes on the mpg. Yeah Jello I had a hard time adjusting my brains to a more rpm aggresive style of driving also over the past few weeks. I know what you mean about your wife having to convert. I've been staying in 5th at highway speeds...
  12. taleAwaggin

Well. For the car's boring ass origin story, please see below: I bought it sight unseen from cross country maybe a year back. I have driven 10 or 20% of the 90k miles. It goes maybe 50 or 60 miles round trip per day now in a warm climate. Periodic longer trips. I have no idea how many miles...
  13. taleAwaggin

Well that wasn't my question but I have the dpf light lightin up my dash. I'm just curious where everybody drives these things in the rpms. I've started to try to keep it 500 to 1000 rpm higher than before. It doesnt seem to hurt fuel economy like I had assumed it would have.
  14. taleAwaggin

What are the tdiclub homies doing on rpms? I used to try to follow the dash cues and cruise inside the 1500-2000rpm window. The more I read up about these things here on tdiclub the higher I want to let it rev out.. I figure what is the point of saving one or two mpg, if it takes the engine...
  15. taleAwaggin

Lifted my golf wagon - help needed!!!

I think a lot of people end up at this conclusion. Which is why I recommend spacers. Want stock comfortable ride quality but more height? Don't half ass it ya clown, do it the "right way" with stiffer springs and stiffer dampers!