Recent content by SuburbanTDI

1. S

Diy diesel kleen

Why would you want to put a mix of 50% cutting oil and 50% carb cleaner/fuel stabilizer in your engine? Are you storing a 2 stroke for the winter?
  2. S

Diy diesel kleen

Don't risk your engine. A bad guess here, a missed observation there and bam!, you're walking. Everywhere and everyday.
  3. S

Unofficial MK7 Oil Change Guide

I lined the area from around the filter canister down with a plastic grocery bag - and then just worked inside of the surrounding 'tube' of plastic. What little mess there was is easily contained by the plastic and tossed. It also had the added benefit of allowing me to replace the filter and...
  4. S

New Old Stock TDI "Program" Cars

I've just bought a 2015 TDI wagon with 19k miles on it and a bumper to bumper VW warranty and sold by VW from their remaining stockpile. What did I get? I can't find what the formal prep was by VW, and forgive me if I don't trust the dealer. ;) Does anyone know how they treated oil, coolant...
  5. S

Oil Drain Plug Torque Setting

Needed the BEW oil plug torque again, and found this thread without ever remembering that I had once asked this question.
  6. S

Stuck in Limp mode after Timing Belt Change

I failed to fully clip in the hose feeding the turbo. Easily seen from beneath the car.
  7. S

Stuck in Limp mode after Timing Belt Change

Great question. Having that answer would be really handy right about now.... I hear a whooshing sound as I attempt to accelerate and the car shudders and cuts speed. I'm guessing vacuum line, just have no idea where one could be disconnected on my BEW motor.
  8. S

Anyone still have their TDI's?

Still have two out of the three in the family. Amazing, dependable, efficient and still just as tight and solid as new. Tried to buy a new 2015 TDI last year off a dealer post-dieselgate, but went BMW instead. I'm still a strong diesel proponent, but given the backlash against diesel in...
  9. S

The age of engine downsizing is over, says Volkswagen

They actually get quite a lot out of the 2.0, and its won a slew of engineering awards since it came on the market in Europe years ago. It's a nice engine, but I agree it's no match for the classic naturally aspirated straight 6. Just wait, next you know someone will try to switch out the...
  10. S

What Is This Tool?

Smallest ring is marked #7, beneath that is the number 47. It measures 15mm across. The largest is marked #26 and 66. It measures 21mm across. There are 20 rings spanning those 6mm from 15-21mm, one blank uncut ring, one 10x magnifier and the gate which opens fully at 20 mm, is 15mm tall and...
  11. S

The age of engine downsizing is over, says Volkswagen

Some of the lower priced 2.0 BMW's in North America have two turbos....
  12. S

What Is This Tool?

The number scale didn't match. Plus the largest hole is close to my ring finger size, and I'm average. The entire size range from small to large is narrower than normal ring finger sizes.
  13. S

pump fun....

Luckily, sometimes stuff like that will also include a few small spare parts. It can be hard to tell which ones are spare when disassembling, the spares usually don't really make themselves apparent until reassembly is almost complete...
  14. S

What Is This Tool?

Any guesses, I haven't a clue. It's driving a few of us crazy trying to figure it out, and I figured with the vast diversity here somebody might just know....
  15. S

Farewell TDI Forum

It's a unique culture here. Does anyone think it could adapt to include more light duty diesels? Besides the usual suspects, the new Mazda diesel due soon in North America looks like a perfect fit - similar customer base and price point as the TDI. Light duty diesels are more alike one...