Recent content by Steve Addy

1. Steve Addy

Newby with limp mode issue

Since we don't really know what other things are going on the first thing I would check would be the small hose inside the ECU connecting to the MAP sensor. They are known to develop holes after a while. At the same time you can verify which ECU you have...it should be silver cased FA since the...
  2. Steve Addy

Oil Pressure Buzzer in Strange Situations

Question...you got the buzzer at idle or above 2000 rpm? Your replacement sender for the flange was grey? Steve
  3. Steve Addy

97 Jetta Cluster issues

Chubbs is done, Derek sold all his equipment and parts to another party, that as far as I know, isn't ready to undertake repair work yet. Good luck on your trip!! Steve
  4. Steve Addy

97 Jetta Cluster issues

This is a very common problem, one we've repeatedly warned about many times in the forum. Steve
  5. Steve Addy

how can I tell an AHU from a 1Z longblock?

I would tend to agree with you about this, but oddly enough the ALH is the only engine I've ever seen with cracked blocks. I've never seen a 1Z or AHU with a cracked block although I suppose there were some. The 225hp 1.8t was awesome, and wasn't there a 240hp as well? The 2.0t OTOH was a...
  6. Steve Addy

Needle lift sensor G80 P00542 / Seeking injector advice

I would always assume that core injectors need nozzles and calibration unless proven otherwise. And unless I know the person selling them I wouldn't probably believe anything they said...like miles etc. People will typically say anything anymore. I'd pay for calibration too...new nozzles need...
  7. Steve Addy

Stuck injectors...how likely?

I wiggled mine as well, but there was only one that was reluctant to come out and it didn't resist for very long. Then again I'd been soaking them for a while. Steve
  8. Steve Addy

Stuck injectors...how likely?

OTOH, I pulled injectors from a 242k mile TDI that was the donor for my 1990 B3V and they didn't fight at all. Now it could be because they had been serviced before, but honestly I doubt it. I do recommend that you prepare though with lots of lubrication before it's time to pull, like the...
  9. Steve Addy

Glow Plug Time Duration

If the vehicle was outside in 34F temp then I would expect a longer cycle then that and less cranking. Aside from wondering whether a CEL got triggered and whether there is a code, you might try next time, in this temperature, unplugging the CTS and seeing whether that extends the glow time...
  10. Steve Addy

Needle lift sensor G80 P00542 / Seeking injector advice

Make sure if you buy used (core) injectors that they're from a MT car and not AT. That is if they're from a Mk4. If they're from Mk3 or B4 then there's no problem since they were all MT. Steve
  11. Steve Addy

It's still being produced according to what's listed above... the CDX marine version that is. I also remember some years back there were some 1.9 TDI engines being sold on eBay that were outfitted for something that had to do with cryogenics, whether it was backup generators or some other...
  12. Steve Addy

New Member/ 1996 1z Passat Wagon

Yeah...that's typical. It doesn't surprise me one bit. Steve
  13. Steve Addy

Lots of good information in Wikip about VW TDI engines. Here is an excerpt regarding R4 1896cc 1.9 R4 8v TDI 29-81kW 29 kW (39 PS; 39 bhp) — CDX Volkswagen Marine (10/07->) 55 kW (75 PS; 74 bhp) at 3,600 rpm; 155 N⋅m (114 lbf⋅ft) at 2,000 rpm — CDX Volkswagen Marine (10/07->) 66 kW (90 PS; 89...
  14. Steve Addy

New Member/ 1996 1z Passat Wagon

Good information to know...so if the mounting is the same then how is it that Gates has gotten this so very wrong then? Steve
  15. Steve Addy

Stop selling to partout buyers

Unfortunate, clusters are hard to come by and I have a friend about 100 miles away bought a B4 wagon that was missing a bunch of interior stuff too. There aren't many around here anyway, not that there were to begin with TBH. Steve