Recent content by squeegee_boy

1. S

Thoughts on buying used Touareg TDI

For people looking at a Touareg TDI, my experience with a 2016 is mixed. I am now at 102,000 miles. The car has never left me stranded. It used to start after sitting all day at -45 deg F. This past winter, it started after sitting at the Fairbanks airport for a week where the high...
  2. S

D1 or kerosene in metro Detroit?

I agree that kerosene should be reasonably easy to find. I'll pass along Chelsea if she can't find it elsewhere. Thank you
  3. S

D1 or kerosene in metro Detroit?

My niece had an apparent fuel-gel issue on her 99 NB a week ago. She managed to get the car running with some PS 911. I recommended adding a standard does of regular Power Service for a few weeks, but it appears to have gelled up again nevertheless. I'm not in metro Detroit, but I am trying...
  4. S

Jetta Wagon Roof Rack Gaskets NLA

Would anyone see an issue with using either of the following in lieu of these foam gaskets? 1.) An o-ring. I have some that are 1.5mm (or 3.0mm) thick that I could tack in place with spray adhesive 2.) RTV silicone sealer or body seam sealer? Also, I found it curious that the only two holes in...
  5. S

Headliner longevity

I appreciate all the input. I think I'll put it back in an hope for the best. I have some fear that I may harm it by trying to clean it up, but I'll report back if that happens. I put a few notes in my shop manual to make it go faster next time. FWIW, given differing thoughts on failure...
  6. S

Headliner longevity

How many of you have an original headliner with no failures? I'm asking because my sister has a 99 NB TDI that has had a sagging headliner for years and it seems to be a common problem on all MKIV Volkswagens (based on forum posts). Here's my situation. I am repainting my 2004 Jetta with my...
  7. Tomski's photos

Tomski's photos

Miscellaneous TDI shots
  8. S

Should I buy the Touareg?

My Touareg has had issues with the adaptive cruise/lane assist and with the TPMS. I think I know what this issue is with the latter, but I would avoid models with the adaptive cruise if possible; I am not the only one to have issues with it. The rest of the car is really nice. No brake...
  9. S

CV Joint Leak from new axle

I'll try that. I have the tool made for these clamps, so I'll just snug it up and run to failure. Thanks for the input
  10. S

CV Joint Leak from new axle

Last year, my wife was helping replace an outer right CV joint boot. I neglected to tell her to keep track of the balls and the cage orientation. Ultimately, the CV joint started clicking, so I decided to replace the entire axle and be done with it. I purchased a new Lobro unit from a...
  11. S

How many Miles on your 3 litre engine?

There is a different forum out there that is Touareg-specific. One owner just reported out at 225,000 miles on a 2011 TDI. The transmission does not sound like it is in very good shape, but the engine appears to be doing well. Unfortunately, the only 3-pedal Touaregs were sold under the Porsche...
  12. S

My new 2016 Touareg Executive.

Here is an article that covers the impact of lower profile tires on fuel economy, acceleration, and cornering. It's on a different car, but the results should be similar. https://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested I switch from 19" wheels in the summer to...
  13. S

Considering getting back into a TDI

Our state is 65 mph maximum. 75 is that fastest that I will admit to. I hear it gets about 18 mpg at 115 mph, if you live near an autobahn.
  14. S

If a dogmobile, I highly recommend the Canvasback liner for the back seat. Works very well. The rear seats adjust fore/aft depending on how much cargo you have and how much you like your rear seat passengers. The Canvasback accommodates that adjustability nicely.
  15. S

Average mpg for me in the winter, running straight #1 Diesel, is about 24. My summer mileage is about 28. My driving habits are 95% highway, roughly 70 - 75 mph, with routine low mountain passes (3000 ft elevation). If I drop to 65 mph, the mileage is a little over 30 mpg. I cannot discern a...