Recent content by spleecho

1. spleecho

Golf Rat Rod…Return

So I picked it up and brought it in, first good news is I went to check coolant level for the heck of it since it’s beeping like crazy and red light flashing and found it was about 3 ounces low, added half a cup of water and the red light went away. Checked oil and nice toasty black no trace of...
  2. spleecho

Golf Rat Rod…Return

In automotive world would this be considered a vegetarian taking a meat lover to dinner?
  3. spleecho

Golf Rat Rod…Return

Aaaalright, so,….Went to look at it just now, it’s worse than it looks! In person the outside looks like an abandoned car and it got the interior to match! Engine was cold, started on first try. Drove it around the block and oh man it needs work, shocks are gone, all the bearings are grinding...
  4. spleecho

Golf Rat Rod…Return

Yeah I think you get the point, I'm looking to make something that you would need a tetanus shot just to get in it but make the go pedal crazy. If the rest of the car is usable and block is OK rest can be played with over time
  5. spleecho

Golf Rat Rod…Return

Been looking on almost weekly basis since beginning of the year and absolutely nothing out there, there were couple that popped up since but too nice to rat out. Willing to go as far as LA to trailer one back but just nothing there
  6. spleecho

Golf Rat Rod…Return

I had my Mk4 Golf ALH for years and sadly traded it in for Fiat Abarth in 2013 since they gave me 4 times what it's worth. Regret it to this day! Found a 2000 REAL rough looking Golf on Craigslist with tons of miles, guy is asking 2k for it. Will need timing belt, A/C work and then some…I’m...
  7. spleecho

911-Overheating out of town HELP please

Hey guys I never got any notifications that there were replies to the thread so I didn't bother checking thinking nobody replied, sorry! The car is still parked in the garage, I am driving my friends car when I need it till I sort out the stuff for the Golf. As far as your suggestions, yes I...
  8. spleecho

I am currently not working and living off savings, $350 would be hard to swallow right now, I am even thinking to make my own timing locking tools. As far as the timing belt, it does have another 50k miles on components I checked my log so I won't replace the whole thing and as far as I know the...
  9. spleecho

That's good to know I had no idea thank you
  10. spleecho

Yea I don't know if I will replace the whole thing. It can be TDI and cheap all it wants but I just don't wanna be throwing parts at it. For peace of mind I'd drive something newer but I don't want car payments now, so fix what's broke. I guess I gotta rent the timing belt tools or find another way
  11. spleecho

Well there's your problem! So I was on my way to the dealer to get G12 to flush out the water and half way there, HORRIBLE grinding-bad bearing noise, LOUD! I immediately shut it down and coasted to a stop, opened the hood and tons of water coming out of the timing belt cover. I knew right...
  12. spleecho

Update time, probably gonna be a long one. This is just puzzling. First of all I am home, got in last night at midnight. Yesterday I bought a 190F Thermostat at AutoZone as they were closest and dealer was just way too far. I removed the old one and "cooked" them both in hot water, the new one...
  13. spleecho

I've towed a 1400 pound trailer up a very steep overpass for miles and never seen it go more than 186 with this thermostat, the one before was a 191 thermostat and highest I saw was 200 so when I saw 205 after this cold night and worrying about freezing I knew something was up. No grill blocks...
  14. spleecho

ALH Engine overheating except with heater on

Before you did the t-stat change was the hose on it hot or warm? I am having same issues as you did and my hose is pretty hot
  15. spleecho

Forgot to ask, if I AM overheating and the scangauge temperature is correct, what temperature should I most definitely not go over to avoid damaging anything?