Recent content by SoKYTDi

1. SoKYTDi

02M Clutch Bleeders sucking air

I ordered the first two through ECS Tuning. The current one I found on eBay for a helluva lot less money. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. I'll know pretty soon.
  2. SoKYTDi

Since you've posted it twice with no reason behind it, explain pressure bleeding as you see it, or at least your opinion on the best way to pressure bleed. Pumping the clutch drives a piston that creates pressure. Reverse bleeding uses a pump at the bleeder to create pressure. Gravity bleeding...
  3. SoKYTDi

I should have said how I tried bleeding. First, I did the reverse bleed, but my el cheapo harbor freight oil can wanted to throw bubbles every so often. Then I tried vacuum bleeding with my mytivac, and that's when I realized that leak was there. Nothing but air in the line, with an occasional...
  4. SoKYTDi

I've been slowly working on getting my Mk4 6-speed back on the road after a long hiatus. I had to pull the 02M to fix the shift forks, and the OEM bleeder was sucking air around the bleeder insert. I've been through the ECS Tuning aluminum block one not fitting -- their install PDF lists a kit...
  5. SoKYTDi

Waking up the old girl

Okay, it's been a hot minute. The car is still sitting in my outdoor garage. Between a minor surgical procedure on my left index finger, COVID, and the weather, progress has been almost non-existent since my last post. The engine runs a bit rough, but I found the rubber part of the line from...
  6. SoKYTDi

What did you do to your MKIV today?

That's a snazzy crank lock. Where might a fella pick up one of those?
  7. SoKYTDi

Waking up the old girl

Some more progress! The transmission is back in the car, and I'm going to work on turning the engine over today. One of the 5 orientation pics I took: R-1-2 & 3-4 forks, pre-weld: Post weld on the R-1-2. I had to grind the bolt head down to clear the side of the case on the 3-4: Here it...
  8. SoKYTDi

Some progress on the return to the road! I fixed the R-1-2 and 3-4 forks. The 3-4 was fine, but I only want to do this once. It's back together and in the car now. I'm about to start the process of turning the engine over & making sure it's not got any real issues after sitting for nearly...
  9. SoKYTDi

Finally got to get into my 6-speed to fix the shift fork(s). I was able to make out that this is an ERF-coded 02M, which likely makes it a European-model pull. First pic shows where the shift fork steel was laying when I opened it. I heard it when I got the case split. Next pics kinda speak...
  10. SoKYTDi

Identify What Model My 02M Came From

Thanks, boertje. I was thinking it could have been a Euro as I couldn't think of any US models that weren't a 5-speed. You're right, it's not that hard to get to the forks. I have everything laid out in my shop at the moment. I have to drill & tap the two holes for bolts, and then it's...
  11. SoKYTDi

Someone has manually stamped a code over most of that area, and the dot matrix codes are near unreadable. I think I can make out an ERF, but I'll have to sit down with a magnifying glass and some baby powder to try and figure out any more.
  12. SoKYTDi

Hello! I had this 02M installed into my 03 Golf after the automatic crapped out. I believe I have a broken shift fork. I'd like to try and determine what model it came from, and I'd also like to identify its generation? if that's the correct term. Here's the casting: Here's the end without the...
  13. SoKYTDi

__Yesterday__ Completed the removal of the 02M from my Golf so I can begin fixing the R-1-2 shift fork at a later date. I'm paying for it today -- I'm sore as hell -- and after 5 years of sitting, it can wait. Besides, I have to mow today.
  14. SoKYTDi

Waking up the old girl

Okay, so I didn't get to it as quickly as I had hoped, but I have started the process. I'm documenting pics as I go, though it probably won't be super-detailed. It's hard to grab pics with dirty, greasy hands! There's something missing.... Welcome to my outdoor garage! Great for storage...
  15. SoKYTDi

strange sound intermittently at engine shutoff

Yeah, I'd look at the N75 as well. I had the same issue.