Recent content by SoaceMunky

1. SoaceMunky

Hurricane Harvey...

thanks for the info, jokila. if an adjuster gets anywhere near this car, that is a guaranteed junker status. the best i could hope for then is parting it out. following kbaisley's advice i've pulled some of the panels. all cloth and insulation has to go. lower dash panel needs to be removed as...
  2. SoaceMunky

Hurricane Harvey...

the valid statement on any vw :D Thanks for your input. I like the keeping it option, and probably don't care about the title. Electronics are worrisome. I've proven myself inept at upkeep and shall now pay the price... thinking of taking on a small 0%APR to help the process. still not...
  3. SoaceMunky

Hurricane Harvey...

update: car has been towed. ...ate my TDI. Water in the cup holders, half way up the doors. Currently going through the bargaining and depression stages of the grieving process. Looks like it only got up to the speakers, but contents of the glove compartment are wet. Engine and fluids are...
  4. SoaceMunky

Wanted! 2004-2006 vw golf gls tdi

I got one for you. Comes with free water in cupholders, courtesy of hurricane Harvey.
  5. SoaceMunky

TT control arm bushing question..

Thanks! Got the metalman kit, will install next week. Thank you for reminding me about the alignment
  6. SoaceMunky

WTB Fat Five Centercaps ... Part # 8N0601170Z33

http://4130-products.com/wheels/ ebay. took 15 minutes to make sure I have right one. Ships from California. :)
  7. SoaceMunky

TT control arm bushing question..

what's the advantage of TT bushings over standard? Do they last longer? Do they change anything in terms of stress on related components?
  8. SoaceMunky

Parking brake cable upgrade

I added a bit of aluminum tape to where the cable rides on the metal hook... That was like... 9 years ago? :cool: no problems since
  9. SoaceMunky

what is this component?

No, sorry, Im just borrowing the picture... Its not what the arrow is pointing it, is whats behind, or under, the arrow. Its the thing that hangs off the driver-side end of the valve cover. As fruitcakesa and JB05 alluded, its the tandem pump. Its making a loud ticking noise at idle that I can...
  10. SoaceMunky

what is this component?

Heh, cool! I'm not touching it,a properly trained mechanic will have to do it. I will ask about it. Clean, or replace? I don't have any time to mess with it, and I would assume just getting a new oem part is a better way... What's a lifter? You mean valve lifter? The noise is definitely coming...
  11. SoaceMunky

what is this component?

Thank you, fruitcakesa! Can you tell me if the noise indicates imminent failure, or nominal operation? It's hard to tell with these engines which is which.
  12. SoaceMunky

what is this component?

Its making a loud clicking noise, can hear it in the cabin, confirmed with a long stick ( held the stick in my hand, covered with thumb, pressed thumb into ear, other end of stick to various places on the running engine). I think this is the right picture. Its the thing hanging off the end of...
  13. SoaceMunky

help with priming after TB change

Crikey! That is the cleanest engine block I've ever seen! Did you just drive it off the lot, or do you use a sonicare toothbrush on it regularly! Wherever i change the fuel filter, i always prime it by turning the key on/off and letting the lift pump cycle about 6 times. That usually works. It...
  14. SoaceMunky

changing rear brakes, special tools needed?

Thanks for the detail, i almost forgot about stiffness/comfort, and was only thinking about durability. On that note, i would assume shock transfer to other parts would increase that wear, whatever they are. There is also OEM assemblies on Boraparts at 195/set.
  15. SoaceMunky

changing rear brakes, special tools needed?

Same thing is happening here. I'm looking at control arms from Rein on idParts at $59/ea, and one on Blackforestindustries $209/set. Any advice on these resellers/manufacturers? And what are these "R32 & Poly bushings" do they have fairies embedded in them, or are they just red?