Recent content by sleze

1. S

Goodbye TDI

Well...my 2005 Passat TDI Variant was recently totalled. I absolutely loved that car but the only thing I didn't like was its handling in the snow. Becaue VW does not offer the new Passat in a Wagon (A3 is smaller and more expensive) and the fact that there are no reasonably priced diesel...
  2. S

Help requested in valuing this 2005 Passat Wagon

Hopefully I am not jinxing myself here but I have 95k with the original balance shaft chain and have had no problems. Just FYI.
  3. S

Passat unchained on VW's dime

Technically, your mileage should improve if you drive the same as you did prior to the RC2. However, it took me a couple of months to get over how powerful it feels afterwards. So count on getting worse mileage for a little while until you get tired of playing with the power. I average 40 MPG...
  4. S

How To: R/R B5.5 BHW Alternator Pulley

What are symptoms that would require me to do this service (or have Gene's do it for me)?
  5. S

South Eastern PA Diesel Guru / Shop / Help?

I have been using Gene's since I bought my car (my family has been using Gene's for over 20 years). Affordable, reliable and flexible (they will really try to fit you in if you have to get something done quickly). I am relocating because of work and will probably time my family trips back to...
  6. S

is my engine ready for a balance shaft?

So I need ANOTHER timing belt replacement?
  7. S

is my engine ready for a balance shaft?

I don't think I have a case with VW. I just had the timing belt replaced at my 90k service. How much does the whole BS replacement cost? If I really need to, I would drive out to St. Louis but I live near Gene's outside of Philadelphia. They are pretty good with VWs.
  8. S

901.4 Miles With 1 Tank

Alas, I will probably never get this kind of mileage. The airflow is better on sedans and I have 17" wheels. I take my hat off to you, sir.
  9. S

mileage hit when switching to B99

I was out of town for a week and the last two days I noticed that my mileage continued to take a nose dive. Also the engine sound was off and my power was down. So last night I replaced the fuel filter. Today on the way to work, the car felt much better but, because of the insane amounts of...
  10. S

mileage hit when switching to B99

I knew to expect a mileage hit when switching from D2 to B99 but I have noticed a 12% hit. I am going to switch the fuel filter in a day or two after in case there was a lot of sludge in the fuel system but I was wondering: How much of a fuel economy hit anyone else has encountered with their...
  11. S

FYI. B99 @ $4/gal Philly area. The good stuff.

I finally got over there and got 21 gallons for $4.05/gallon. I can say that I definately took a hit on mileage. After I started using Standadyne performance, my commute to work was at around 45-47mpg. Today, because traffic was so light, I traveled at 57 mph in cruise control the entire...
  12. S

ventectomy - Old Pictorial Dead?

I have to say, easiest mod ever. I recommend two flat-head screw drivers to remove the tabs once you get the little mechanism out of its tube. What do you do with the drain tube? Just let it flop around?
  13. S

I called him Monday and he quoted me $4.10. I am heading over today to take delivery.
  14. S

y

Although I have encountered the phantom Limp mode a few times and have an annoying rattle under my dashboard, I love my Passat. In fact, I am sometimes fearful that if it were ever to be totalled, it is unreplaceable as there were only 5000 05 TDI wagons made. The bottom line is that you WILL...
  15. S

I have started using Standadyne with my dinodiesel. Will it help, hurt, or do nothing with this B99?