Recent content by shoebear

1. S

Free VDS-Pro / VagTacho Alternative

Thanks again for doing this. I agree, this is TOTALLY COOL, and I can't wait to try it. However, I have to get my 05 Beetle running again for my daughter in grad school, and I'm doing major work on it, so I have to finish that first.
  2. S

turbo not working

Tdijarhead suggested that test in post #2 of this thread, and commanderjjones confirmed that the turbo behaved per spec in post #4. Jones was a little sloppy in his confirmation wording and didn't specifically mention that the actuator hit the stop at 18 inHg, but jarhead specified that and...
  3. S

Discounted TDI oil locator thread

Yes, it was quite confusing, and it took me a while to figure it out. I think the oil NAPA has on sale is for other makers' common rail engines, like Mercedes. Thanks for your contributions!
  4. S

Thermostat 02 TDI

They arrived today. They are BorgWarner Wahler 4264.87D, and they don't fit. What I got is different than the photo on their website. Requesting a return/refund. You can see photos of what they sent HERE.
  5. S

Discounted TDI oil locator thread

NAPA's Valvoline sale oil is the wrong one for our common rail TDi cars. Valvoline makes two 5W30 European motor oils for North America: VALVOLINE™ EUROPEAN VEHICLE SAE 5W-30 MOTOR OIL VALVOLINE™ EUROPEAN VEHICLE XL-III SAE 5W-30 MOTOR OIL Only the second one (XL-III) is VW 504.0/507.0...
  6. S

turbo not working

I don't know if the N75 valve is bad or not, but I keep a spare just in case. Check your local parts stores, but I think you are unlikely to find one. The VW part number is 1J0906627A, and Pierburg makes a quality replacement, part 7.02184.01.0. You can get this from idparts for $35+$5...
  7. S

Thermostat 02 TDI

Cool. idparts is a quality vendor. Good for you not breaking the fingers.
  8. S

Engine unlevel after clutch & new mounts

I checked my mount gaps as documented above, and they are all in spec. The engine still lists to port a bit, but not as badly as at first, and it sounds like this is normal. So I consider this resolved. Thanks, everyone who contributed!
  9. S

What's that loose spring under your seat? (mk4 seat spring fix)

Every time I loan my car to someone, they pump on the lever thinking it will adjust the back angle. Then when I get my car back, I have to fiddle and fiddle with the height and angle to get it comfy for me again. This happens about 2-3 times a year. I already have a quantitative way to adjust...
  10. S

Thermostat 02 TDI

Thanks, Brian! Looks like AutoHausAZ has them on sale now for $10 ea + shipping. On edit: Nope! Autohaus cancelled my order... says they're out of stock and can't get more.
  11. S

Thermostat 02 TDI

Thanks, Brian. Happen to have a part number handy? I couldn't find a direct match listed on https://www.calorstatbyvernet.com . Otherwise, the genuine VW part number is 044121113. MSRP is $50, found it on eBay for $29 incl shipping. On edit: Found THIS which looks like the VW t-stat except...
  12. S

Thermostat 02 TDI

Good to know. That used to be a good way to get the OEM t-stat cheap. Now I wish I had stocked up more. Have you found any other source? Or did Mahle just screw up the t-stat and it's not available anymore except from VW (until they run out)?
  13. S

Thermostat 02 TDI

I agree that you should replace the flange with the t-stat. There are two fingers in the flange that hold the t-stat during reassembly, and it's practically impossible to get the old t-stat out without breaking the fingers. While it's possible to install the new t-stat without the aid of the...
  14. S

2002 Jetta shaking in gear

I don't understand how transmission shaking could happen with the clutch on the floor. When the clutch is down, nothing in the transmission should be moving, I think. So therefore, I favor your idea that the clutch may not be disengaging. Is your brake reservoir full of good fluid? If not...
  15. S

PD TANDEM PUMP REBUILD $25 EBAY KIT (leaking into crankcase/oil)

I just rebuilt the one for my 2005 NB using an eBay kit, but I'm doing other work on it and haven't tried it yet. Sounds like you're happy with it? Hopefully, mine will work out well also. For context: I loaned the car to a young lady almost 3 years ago who told me she know how to drive a...