Recent content by shakescreek

1. S

Best TDI for Tuning?

"The BHW is closer to the margins of longevity as it left the factory, just remember that. In other words, it was already "tuned". It is/was the highest output SOHC PD engine" Not quite accurate, The bhw was only the highest output sohc pd engine sold in north america. Europe got several with...
  2. S

Headlight bulbs

I've tried both the silverstar ultra's and the philips xtreme vision and prefer the philips, just seem to be a little brighter than the ultra's to my eyes.
  3. S

Injector rebuild Canada

Frank do you do pd injectors?
  4. S

Alh Tdi ranger.

I'm running the volvo electric pump on my bhw swapped blazer, and the stock bhw alternator has never had any trouble keeping up.
  5. S

Putting TDI in a boat ...

Typically 2 to 3 gph depending on load and speed, which is about 10 to 15 mpg. Usual cruise speed is about 30 mph. Those numbers are imperial gallons so would be a little more converted to us gallons
  6. S

I take my boat down to saltwater in Alaska occasionally. Usually go about 30 miles out from the mouth of the river for halibut fishing. Handles swells and rollers just fine, but rides pretty rough in shorter sharper waves. I think the hull is what determines the suitability for bigger open...
  7. S

Pump is an American Turbine SD309. There is no separate pump for the cooling water, it is bled off the chamber behind(pressure side) the main impeller that provides the thrust. There are 2 hose barbs on the pump to provide cooling water, one feeds the engine coolant heat exchanger and is dumped...
  8. S

It's not for everyone but there is no way I'd trade this lifestyle for town life. We're on the Stikine river in northwestern BC, about 40 miles east of the Alaskan border and 150 miles south of the Yukon border. TDI boat is still running well and life is good. That said I'm 67 years old so we...
  9. S

Project: PolarXJ (M-TDI XJ)

For comparison I have a BHW swapped 2003 Blazer,5 spd manual, weighs about 4200 lbs, 215 75 15 tires. I do all my mileage calculations based on the imperial gal. It averages right around 40 mpg (33.3 us mpg) on most of our trips, usually loaded pretty heavy on the return trip. Last year we did a...
  10. S

Power steering solutions for BRM Toyota swap

You could also use an electric power steering pump,makes things simple as you can mount the pump anywhere you have room. I used one from a volvo on my BHW swapped Blazer and am happy with how it works. Even gives me power steering with just turning the key on but not starting the engine, which...
  11. S

///// Weight reduction: lithium battery and misc weight removal /////

I've had a lithium battery (40 ah size) in my boat for 4 years now( put about 200 hours a year on it) with the standard alternator and it still seems just as strong as when new. My alternator seems to hold at 13.9 to 14.2V when running. The battery manufacturer recommends 14.4 volts so it...
  12. S

FS B5.5 Passat BHW Garret turbo, camshaft and engine miscellaneous.

Found 3 of them from various tdi's I've deleted. Been long enough though that I no longer remember which one came from which engine(ALH,BHW, &BPX). If you can send me a PM with your email address, I'll send you a picture of all 3 and you can let me know which one is the BHW one.
  13. S

Telegraph Creek, northwest corner of the province west of Dease Lake. I'll take a look around and see if I can locate the egr cooler I pulled of the passat I used for my swap.
  14. S

caffeine where about in BC are you at? I should have a bhw egr cooler kicking around here somewhere left over from when I did my bhw blazer swap.