Recent content by Second Turbo

1. S

VWAG launches trade-in incentive for older diesels; European SW update for Euro 5/6

Any speculation on whether such a deal might be extended to the US? Our ALH wagon, at 373,000+ miles, is already the lowest $TCO/mi vehicle I ever bought. If I could buy a new hybrid, for what amounts to factory cost, I might be tempted.
  2. S

How to repair your Jettawagon cargo cover.

Great instructions. Our cargo cover failed at a paltry 359,000 miles. :) I was not surprised to learn that VW only sells the whole assembly. Having had to previously repair the console latch&hinge, and the glove box latch, I was surprised to learn that the usual suspect aftermarket sources...
  3. S

Key fobs stopped working?

+ down When the problem is: keyfob stopped working after changing battery re-check new battery polarity. It may be +down in the holder, which is counter-intuitive with most similar holders.
  4. S

NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

in the wider context... Thanks for posting that link to INCR-EA11003-61863. They could, of course, have more simply stated the REASON FOR CLOSING as: The affected vehicles are all going to be recalled for a more important problem, and crushed or resold in Elbonia.
  5. S

2006 Diesel mileage ? ? ?

You've at least changed the oil, right? doonboggle: ... and have never changed anything. Air and fuel filters would be worth a look. Concur on the timing belt, just due to time (it's supposed to have been a 100,000 mile item on that year, but still...)
  6. S

Volkswagen Passat & Golf Security Flaw Kept Secret By VW

Short term solution, one way or the other re: Best yet: leave your fob in the microwave with the door shut. Only until you have another RF-shielding solution. If you put it in the μwave, it's just a matter of time before you, or some other family member, fries the fob, and they aren't cheap...
  7. S

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Who dun it mk3: As a member of the Engineering community I am embarrassed by this. The Engineers certainly had to design this software and one would think it raised ethical questions. Assuming the allegations are true as presented*, it strikes me as at least possible that this was an...
  8. S

2015 Golf TDI sets new US mileage record - 81.17 mpg

And the route was downhill all the way re: I hate a Hypermiler......I guarantee that the drive was unsafe and Dangerous... The photos only show the front view of that car. On the back was a big sign saying: HONK REPEATEDLY IF YOU LOVE HYPERMILERS (then get over it - you can pass us ...
  9. S

Watch your mail box. re: Does anyone really believe that this HPFP warranty extension and the closing of the NHTSA investigation are unrelated? Yes, I do. Apart from the recently revealed fact that NHTSA is more incompetent than anyone could have guessed, I would have expected any linked...
  10. S

Too little, too late re: Extended warranty covers 2009 - 2012 models. But not 2013 or 2014. That won't help move any stale '14s still on the lots, unless they had a different factory warranty that makes this extension moot. re: Doesn't take a great deal of looking through these forums to find...
  11. S

Why it took so long for EA-11003 to result in nothing. All over the press today. Typical report: Autoblog: NHTSA isn't as thorough as you think
  12. S

NHSTA ends investigation...

Dat's whut i thot re: By the time you get that "warning", your fuel system is toast. Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I knew about or concur with your other remarks.
  13. S

NHSTA ends investigation...

Implications of warning. re: ... 100% were given warning of at least 1 mile and up to 60 miles, before failure (CEL, chimes etc.). This from data retrieved from the cars involved. Pay attention and you won't get wacked. ... What triggers the alarm? Is irreversible systemic damage already in...
  14. S

Wait a year to buy MDB EA288 engine?

As long as parts are available re: ... 2004 Jetta TDI PD with 226K miles. I have been doing the timing belt changes every 80K ... Do I spend that money on the car or use it for a new car. We have a 2003 ALH wagon now at 336K miles (timing belt every 100K). Going in for major front suspension...
  15. S

VW says AWD SportWagen coming in 2016

But my calendar says 2015 >> The JSW sold less than 20,000 units YTD. VW isn't going to convince the US to buy wagons, in the land of CUVs and SUVs. What were once wagons, morphed into CUVs (Outback). > Don't forget they stopped building them mid-year, and dealers were selling off remaining...