Recent content by seaman_12

1. S

Timing belt replacement on a 2001 Jetta TDI

Look at my belt http://myweb.cableone.net/mccarty/ Yours looks very worn by comparison. My TDI has 43K on it, what's the mileage for your belt? http://myweb.cableone.net/mccarty/
  2. S

I just talked to a VW dealer parts rep about what engine codes make the service interval 40k versus 80k. I think he is misinformed because he said the last 6 digits of the VIN should be over 500,000 for my timing belt to be the 80k variety. I am including pics of my VIN (last 3 digits covered)...
  3. S

I understand that there is a 'D' and an 'M' belt. The pic shown on your post doesn't have either letter on the belt (P/N 0891 666014 29). Where is the letter? It looks like none of my local parts stores carry this belt. If I get it from my VW dealer should I pretend I have a 2002 Jetta so as...
  4. S

I'm a bit confused about what is written in the TDIFAQ concerning timing belt replacement. Here is the relevant passage, "The replacement interval varies depending upon model but is generally 96,000 km for manual transmission models for the 2001 and prior model years, and 64,000 km for...
  5. S

What can I do for better MPG?

I have the Vag-Com software and the OBDII tool. What can I do to my '01 Jetta to improve the performance and MPG? Is this tool nothing but a code-reader?
  6. S

A4 TDI engine measuring blocks/groups

When I get my VAG-COM software next week, I want to perform a tune-up on my '01 Jetta. What are the optimum settings that I should use for this car such as idle speed, timing, etc? I assume these can all be set using the OBDII tool. Are these settings posted elsewhere on this board...
  7. S

What fun can I have with my VAG-COM software?

I should have the Cartechsolutions CTS-1 together with the full version of the VAG-COM software next week. What all should I do to my 2001 Jetta with this software? I know I need to change the setting that makes it stop clogging its own intake, but what performance enhancements can I perform...
  8. S

I got VAG-COM software what do I tinker with 1st?

Thanks for the info. What I'm really after is how do I get my MPG back up over 40. I drive 'normally' (don't floor it more than once per week, and drive 50/50 hwy/city) and have been getting in the low 30's with my 2001 Jetta auto. I also recently cleaned out the intake even though it only...
  9. S

I got VAG-COM software what do I tinker with 1st?

I should have the Cartechsolutions CTS-1 together with the full version of the VAG-COM software next week. What all should I do to my 2001 Jetta with this software? I know I need to change the setting that makes it stop clogging its own intake, but what performance enhancements can I perform...