Recent content by sdean7855

1. sdean7855

Suggestions for Mk4 floor mats?

My '03 Jetta's 2nd set of floor mats are worn through. Weather Tech no longer makes mats for that year. I've had trouble with generic floor mats that slide around...my second, now dead, set could be tied down to OEM floor buttons. Anyone have a suggestion?
  2. sdean7855

Efficiency Question

I recently (at 311K miles) had to replace the flexjoint in the exhaust. In addition to being broken open, it was dense with carbon black. So a question: Obviously, with all the carbon, combustion is not complete. How near to complete is it? Or, to put it another way, how much fuel energy...
  3. sdean7855

HELP: How do you install a new clutch pedal pad?

I have the pad. Tried to install it in the winter when it was cold and stiff, couldn't. It's softer in summer's heat, but I still can't figure out how to get it on. I'm sure there's some clever Germanic way to get it to pop on, but I am at a loss
  4. sdean7855

Discounted TDI oil locator thread

Got a $5 Rapid Rewards coupon for my previous purchase so went back of the other AApts in Kingston and got another jug of Ineo LongLife for $6.
  5. sdean7855

In Kingston, NY, which has another AApts which I didn't go to after cleaning out the one at Albany Avenue.... What a lovely steal: the counter guy was gobsmacked at the final price. I got: 2 5quart jugs of 5W30 Ineo Long Life ( VW504.00/507.00) $10.33 @ 1 5 quart jug of 5W40 9000 Energy...
  6. sdean7855

Purchase 3 gallons of T6 full synthetic and get a $20 digital gift card. Good until 6/30/23 https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/promos-loyalty-rewards/coupons-rebates-and-sweepstakes.html
  7. sdean7855

Rotella T6 (which is what I use for me '03 ALH) is $23.98 from Amazon or Walmart https://www.amazon.com/Shell-Rotella-Synthetic-1-Gallon-Single-Pack/dp/B01LH7L0KS
  8. sdean7855

MKIV Clutch problems

Hoping to tap into the collective wisdom. Background: I had my original dual-mass clutch replaced at about 375K miles; I had to stomp the clutch all the way to the floor to shift. My reasonably reliable mechanic (mech#1) replaced it with a single mass. I had some subsequent problems (shifting...
  9. sdean7855

Clutch problem

This is my third post today. I've had my '03 Jetta TDI since '05 and put 290K largely trouble free miles on it; its been utterly dependable and a joy to drive...until lately. Now I've had troubles...a turbo oil line break (twice, but not raising that here) and clutch difficulties...it's...
  10. sdean7855

Eval of A4, A5 & A6 TDIs Wanted

I currently have an '03 Jetta TDI, but a Bad Thing (oil line to Turbo broke) happened (twice), and I have to consider possible replacement options should my well-appreciated (and depreciated) car go down for the count. The Question: what are the differences and relative strengths/weaknesses of...
  11. sdean7855

Warning: Turbo oil line break

Thanks...every other week I take my wife to an infusion 90 miles to the south in NYC. I upgraded my AAA road service to the Premium level that gives you three 100 mile tows in a year. Will see what happens. At this point, I will just continue on...the BlueBook value is so low that doing...
  12. sdean7855

Warning: Turbo oil line break

A cautionary tale: At 297K miles, the oil line to the turbo broke about 20 miles from home. I limped home by stopping every ten miles and topping off the oil. I got the line replaced by Euronutz near Saugerties, but it took them a while to order the part in. Everything was fine for a month or...
  13. sdean7855

NYTimes: Price of Diesel, Which Powers the Economy, Is Still Climbing

Gasoline is up 11%, diesel over 40%, due to: Closed refineries Being mandated as a lightening blend to bunker oil used by ocean-going ships Russian embargo winter use of #2 fuel oil exports to Europe and Latin America...
  14. sdean7855

Massive oil leak, perhaps at turbo

Oil leak appears to be coming from somewhere around the turbo., perhaps where the oil line joins it. Alas, being 75 and <sigh> 300 pounds, getting under the car is not a joy. Seen from above, can't see where the leak is...somewhat tucked under the engine. From below, you are under the oil...
  15. sdean7855

Massive oil leak, perhaps at turbo

4 quarts gone in 10 miles, leaving a line (at low speed) on the pavement. Way too much (I assume) to be some gasket...such weep, perhaps a lot, but not nearly a stream. Any ideas what it could be? '03 Jetta, ALH engine, nearly 300K miles. Radiator fluid is clear. Troubleshooting suggestions?