Recent content by ScottSutcliffe

1. S

Special Order Manual Trans?

Is it possible to special order a VW with a manual transmission? I am particularly interested in the top model Sportwagen with a manual trans. -Scott
  2. S

Manual Transmissions

Manual Trans Thanks for all the posts. I'm hopeful my next VW, diesel or otherwise, will still sport a manual transmission.
  3. S

Manual Transmissions

Which VW models come with manual transmssions?
  4. S

High beams work but low do not?

Dead headlights The same thing happened to my '12 Jetta a couple of months back. In my case, it was both bulbs gone at once.
  5. S

Engine stuttering and stumbling

It may just be that it happens after the regen cycle. But its more noticeable now than before. It just had an ECM update. I've made no modifications to the engine nor have I changed the fuel filter--it's due in a few thousand miles.
  6. S

Engine stuttering and stumbling

My 2014 JSW TDI occasionally stutters and stumbles for minutes at a time, at any speed, and without any warning. The engine sometimes surges when idling. It smooths down after about a minute but the problem reoccurs without warning. The car has 35k mikes and has been properly serviced. Suggestions?
  7. S

VW Jack

Thanks for the suggestions. Just looking for a simple and safe jack to use for changing wheels. The VW jack is okay for emergencies but not useful on soft ground or my gravel driveway.
  8. S

VW Jack

What's the best jack to use in raising the car for changing wheels/tires? I have a hydraulic scissors jack that I really like but the rubber O rings are forever in need of replacement and it constantly leaks fluid. I don't want to purchase a fancy auto jack, just one that easily jacks from the...
  9. S

VWs with manual Transmissions

Does anyone know what VW models have manual transmissions, specifically Sportwagens? It appears from their website that only the entry level comes with a manual.
  10. S

Winter Tire Season! Goodyear Ultragrip Winter vs. Continental ExtremeWinterContact

I have the Continentals on my Sportwagen. They are terrific. Wonderful in snow, good control on ice, quiet, and a smooth ride. I drive all over NEngland in winter, the car will go almost anywhere.
  11. S

Language recognition system

The answer to my question was to take it to a VW dealer. On short notice, they gladly reinstalled the computer software and fixed the problem.
  12. S

Language recognition system

My 2014 Jetta Sportwagen suddenly changed to speaking Mandarin or another Asian language and despite my resetting the Lanuage to the English(US) setting several times and resetting everything to original factory settings, it still won't respond to or speak English commands. It's kind of funny...
  13. S

Sportwagen Trailer Hitch

What's the best trailer hitch for a new Sportwagen? The Hidden Hitch I used on my 09 was too low, always dragging.
  14. S

Brake Pad Replacement Expectation

Brake pad and rotor wear To follow up on my posting of about a year ago, my front and rear pads and rotors on my 09 TDI are still going strong at 80,000 miles. Amazing.
  15. S

How Many Volkswagens Have You Owned?

How Many VWs 1955 Sunroof 1958 Bug 1961 Bug Convertible 1966 Bug 1979 Rabbit 1981 Dasher wagon diesel 1983 Jetta sedan diesel 1979 Dasher wagon gas 1991 Passat wagon 1999 Jetta sedan 2001 Passat wagon 2004 Jetta wagon 2006 Jetta sedan 2009 Jetta sportwagen TDI