Recent content by scdevon

1. scdevon

What did you do to your MKVI-A6 Golf family/JSW today?

I got rid of it and got $19,681 including the $1000 "Goodwill money" and the $350 secondary settlement from Bosch. Not bad for a car I only paid $24,000 for brand new 7 years ago. I also got $3100 for a hail damage claim on the car years ago that I never fixed except for pulling the dents...
  2. scdevon

CJAA performance cam

Oh, yeah. It's totally possible, just not as easy or as cheap as with conventional solid iron cams. Clearly VW engineers were looking to reduce the mass and therefore the total rotational mass of conventional iron cams in the CR engines so they went with these lightweight ring cams. Not only...
  3. scdevon

CJAA performance cam

Do you have any pics of the damage? I'm assuming that you run good synthetic oil at the proper intervals. I'm wondering if there might be an oil supply problem to the top end of the engine, but there would most likely have been hydraulic tappet noise from lack of oil pressure if that were the...
  4. scdevon

The 6 speed tranny

The syncronizer hub and sleeve have to match the teeth on the gear or they resist meshing. 1st gear is more sensitive to this because it's the largest diameter gear by a wide margin. Pressing harder on the shifter into 1st will result in more syncronizer ring braking effort and may make it mesh...
  5. scdevon

Car wont start, battery reads 12.9v

Yep. Current is what starts the car. Not voltage. Actually proper voltage at the proper current is what starts the car. A 12.xx whatever voltage surface charge means next to nothing.
  6. scdevon

Timing Belt Inspection

I haven't heard of them routinely failing prior to the recommended replacement interval. Generally speaking, stop and go driving is harder on them than steady highway cruising. Generally speaking, manual transmission "up and down rpm shifitng" is harder on belts than the more stable shifting of...
  7. scdevon

CJAA performance cam

That's the first i've heard of a 2.0 CR having cam and cam follower wear problems other than maybe a fatal timing bellt failure with piston-to-valve collision.
  8. scdevon

Timing Belt Inspection

No they don't, but you covered that in the rest of your post about chain link wear adding up over the length of the chain making it APPEAR that the chain has stretched. Metal used in chains doesn't stretch under the normal force of driving an overhead cam, but you're a service tech like me and...
  9. scdevon

Timing Belt Inspection

He was trying to say that as the timing belt wears, the tensioner "runs out" of movement all the way to its maximum range and no longer applies tension to the belt to the degree that it should. At that point, he was comparing the tensioner pulley to more of an idler pulley rather than the...
  10. scdevon

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

I don't think dealers use the OBD connector (under the dash) to update and reflash an ECU. I believe they access the ECU connector directly under the wiper cowl area. Maybe if my engine blew up under warranty, I would consider letting the dealer touch my car. (My car has been out of warranty...
  11. scdevon

Why You Should Not Buy A Dsg Transmission

I know. What ripoff joints are these people getting their cars "serviced" at? I'm a 6MT manual guy, but all of this stressing about servicing DSG boxes is just anal retentive nonsense. The DSG box is no more difficult than servicing an old Ford C4 box or a GM TH350 etc; maybe not even AS...
  12. scdevon

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Recall or not, my 2011 Golf will never see the inside of a VW dealer again and VW will never touch my vehicle. I live in a redneck Rocky Mountain red state that has never had vehicle inspections and likely never will given the political climate here. Denial of registration for "dirty" vehicles...
  13. scdevon

VW dealership recommending new engine due to camshaft wear. Opinions, please

I'm glad you had a good outcome on this. Knowledge is power. Your cam is a weak design on an otherwise great engine. Nothing except an xxW-40 top brand synthetic weight oil should be in that engine The lower end of your engine is barely broken in at that mileage. 500k miles is not unusual for...
  14. scdevon

Diesel Injection Service?

"Wallet Flush Service". Run away.
  15. scdevon

Golf subframe is clunking - which "fix" is the fix?

Just leave them alone "good and tight" if all seems well. "One time use" bolts are one of the biggest scams ever pulled on the owners of vehicles by auto manufactures. It's important to replace cylinder head bolts, connecting rod bolts and bolts related to timing belt components and that's...