Recent content by Sam Carleton

1. S

Is this the end?

I noticed today that my 2002 NB with 359975 miles has what appears to be an oil leak. I checked the oil levels and they are fine, but this isn't looking good. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what might be the problem and if the car can be saved for another 360K miles!
  2. S

Blower motor sort of working

It is all fixed! I went to a U Pull & U Pay junk yard and got both the resister and blower for $30, installed it at the junk yard. As I pulled out, it started to rain so I got to put it to immediate use! Thank you all for your assistance.
  3. S

so, anyone have the perfect link to a howto (dyi) on replacing the blower motor?
  4. S

Ok, my 2002 NB is old and tired with over 355K miles, so I know it could be a number of things, but when I first turn on the car the blower motor works just fine for a few seconds than there is this really sad dying like sound and then this faint sound where it sounds like it might be trying to...
  5. S

Looking for TDI mechanic in Cincinnati

William, Joe is very much still around. He now has his own very successful shop. Joe is a wonderful guy, I would still use him all the time except he is simply too far away, being up in Beavercreek and myself down in Cincinnati. Here is his shop's contact info: Augustine Automotive 801...
  6. S

overzealous windshield wipers

Where is the relay?
  7. S

overzealous windshield wipers

My 2002 NB has overzealous windshield wipers. When in the off position, they keep running. I was thinking and one mechanic has weighed in on the issue being the switch in the stalk. I watched a video on how to get to it and it looks like it isn't too hard, except for dealing with the air...
  8. S

Where to get a timing belt changed?

Thank you, I thought there was a link somewhere with a list of mechanics, but I wasn't able to find it, so your link was very helpful. Also, I had forgotten about the Cinci TDI club. I just posted a question there to see if there are any other recommendations. Again, thank you for the reminder!
  9. S

Where to get a timing belt changed?

My 2002 New Beetle is now about 110,000 past it's last timing belt change. It also runs rough at idle. I am wondering where I should take it for service. The last time I had it at the mechanic I normally take it too, he didn't have a definitive answer to the car running rough at idle. Not...
  10. S

2002 NB Has no power [pic]

So, I have one final question: How exactly do I replace the Vacuum Pump to Brake Booster Line? What is the best approach to getting both ends of the hose off the car? Is there a trick to getting the end back into the master break cylinder?
  11. S

Yes, that does appear to be EXACTLY what I am looking for, thank you!
  12. S

Ok, I was not able to see where it when with out removing some things, but finally I found it. The problem is that the piece broke:( Here is what I am seeing: So I have the RED arrow pointing to the piece that is broken. What I am wondering is this: 1: What is that piece called? Anyone...
  13. S

Folks, Yesterday I changed the break fluid in my 2002 NB for the first time ever. One of the things I did was take off that panel that limits your access to the master cylinder. Well there is the wind shield wiper motor you have to take off. It also looks like there are some of those vacuum...
  14. S

Where to get my NB looked at in Chicago Land

I just drove about 6 hours to Chicago land and my 2002 NB with 300K is idling a bit rough. I will be here through Friday and was wondering if there was anywhere reliable to take my bug in Chicago Land. I am down in the southern part, but being one that likes to see new places, I am flexible on...
  15. S

RPM dropping

I have a 2002 TDI NB with 299,450 miles on it. The coil light comes on from time to time and when I am slowing down (and have the clutch in) or am at a stop light, the RPM's will drop for a second or so and the car will run a lot rougher. What might it be? Where can I find a competent TDI...