Recent content by RonJitsu

1. R

Scan Gauge II XGauge - EGT & Boost

Ahh that makes sense, Thank you. I saw it on the Polar FIS product page and thought it applied to the 2012-2014, it must have been a different model or year. Thanks again for the info
  2. R

Scan Gauge II XGauge - EGT & Boost

Oil Temp I was wondering if anyone has come up with the XGauge code for Oil Temperature. The last I saw it mentioned was back in 2014 (with no success). Since then though, the Polar FIS has come out which does read Oil Temperature. Maybe someone has had luck with it since then for the ScanGauge...?
  3. R

2012 Passat TDI Audio Upgrade

I had a similar task, finding where to "hide" my JL HD600/4. I ended up mounting it in the trunk up under the deck. Its out of the way and hasn't been an issue since I installed it in 2012. It runs these Audison Voce components very nicely.
  4. R

1985 rebuld

We got it all buttoned back up yesterday. We drove around town for a half hour or so, all was well and smooth. She hits the NJ turnpike tomorrow morning. Will post up an update after she's got 1000 miles or so.
  5. R

New shoes! ContiPureEco

Thanks for the info. I'll be switching to these Conti Eco's before winter. I've got 62k and counting in the stock Hankooks now...
  6. R

1985 rebuld

We still have some odds and ends to finish up. Some new bolts here and there, some new wire connections, maybe replace some fuel lines, and I think we're going to rebuild the vacuum pump. We'll keep you all posted.
  7. R

1985 rebuld

We had a very eventful day today. We got the last piston installed. Got the new 3 notch head gasket in place, then installed and torqued the head with some new head bolts. Next was to get all the hoses and wires back in place, install the valve cover and oil pan. New timing belt, etc...
  8. R

1985 rebuld

Hey dieseljunkie, Check out the above post from oilhammer describing the same exact situation we had here. Aside from that I also havent heard of high RPM doing this. The 16V & turbo diesel engines had an oil nozzle installed to increase oil flow to the pistons, so I'm thinking this RPM issue...
  9. R

1985 rebuld

Here is the Oilhammer post I was referring to where he had the same exact symptoms as Dougs car.Remember doug was doing 85-95 mph every day (one hour up and one hour back): it can be found in this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3288652&highlight=broken+rings#post3288652
  10. R

1985 rebuld

Rings have arrived. If all goes well, we will finish up and have her running again tomorrow.
  11. R

1985 rebuld

LOL - Its really not a big deal. We've gone through so much that this really is a pretty easy task. We had the head and oil pan off and were pulling the pistons/rods in under two hours. :D The rings/pistons were installed at the machine shop (Freddy @ EngineLand) last time because they had to...
  12. R

1985 rebuld

Never thought about a gas trans swap. I'll have to do some math and see what RPM/MPH difference that equates to.
  13. R

1985 rebuld

If money were no issue, I'd agree that we should replace the valves. Given the value of the 85 Jetta, these valves will remain...
  14. R

1985 rebuld

You're right, ideally the cylinders should be honed... If we did that we'd really need to pull the engine from the car, remove the crank and all, hone it and then clean it properly to remove the honing debris. Given that the engine/trans are staying in the car for this ring swap and that the...
  15. R

1985 rebuld

As cool as it would be to re-gear the trans for higher speeds, that's just not a cost effective or practical solution for a 1985 Jetta. So the solution here is Doug will slow down to about 65 mph from here on out now that we understand that higher rpm makes the engine eat itself. And yes, I do...