Recent content by Rob Mayercik

1. R

Anyone know this genius?

When I was growing up in the 80s, my dad bought my mom a scanner for an anniversary gift. We'd have the thing running all day, and it'd be background noise during family dinners. Could be interesting, entertaining, or both. Like the time they dispatched a cop a couple towns over to some...
  2. R

Expendable Golf 4 TDI... Should I run the wheels off it?

Hey, there's a thought - autocross the ALH!
  3. R

Anyone know this genius?

Sorry, got to engage "pedantic mode" for a moment: This sort of thing is specifically the fault of the maps/routing software in the GPS receiver (your phone or Garmin-type device). That's what is different about a "Trucker's GPS"- the map data has additional metadata in it to indicate whether...
  4. R

Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Depends on where in NJ ("zone pricing" - two stations across the street from one another can be in different zones and have vastly different prices). The parts of NJ I am in (78 corridor in Hunterdon/Warren, RT3 corridor in Clifton) I am seeing around $2.999 for diesel. (edit) Oh, and the toll...
  5. R

What did you do to your MKIV today?

Ah, that makes sense.
  6. R

That's what I'm choosing to believe - either way, I've got (at least on the driver's door that gets the most window down/up cycles) the revised clips. Only downside is that I can't claim to have survived all these years on the plastic ones, but I think I can live with that...
  7. R

Installed the replacement latch module in my driver's door on Saturday, using the idParts how-to video as a reference. Unlike the vehicle in the video, my regulator clips didn't have hex bolts - I found torx bolts instead (T27). One turned but very stiffly , the other rounded out the splines...
  8. R

Time to fix some rust

I'd lean more toward an independent - been my experience (at least, in NJ) that body shops that work with insurance companies have no interest in working on anything more than 3 years old.
  9. R

Best diagram / explanation of internal combustion engine

That is definitely some nice work.
  10. R

Buy a damn skid plate.. trust me...

x2. That probably would have been an "ex-lax" moment for me...
  11. R

ECM from TDI Jetta to TDI Golf

Bob, it's gonna be kinda tricky for the OP to drive the car to a guru when it hasn't run in a year. Or were you suggesting having it towed/dollied?
  12. R

ECM from TDI Jetta to TDI Golf

IF you don't have VCDS, at least pick up an OBD-II dongle (available for $25 or so) and get the Torque app for your phone, and see if you can connect to the ECU through the diagnostic port. Would help establish whether ECU is really "dead" or not...
  13. R

Liners fit perfectly, as expected (though I think they need to "air out" a little - interior smelled a little funny last night when I mounted up to drive home), left the windows/sunroof cracked today when I got to the office to try and facilitate that. I even took pics and contacted Weathertech...
  14. R

I had been planning to follow the writeup here, but I'll review that one when the time comes to do the job. Will also see about getting a tube of the VR stuff as well. Thanks for the tips.