Recent content by roadhard1960

1. R

How much blowby is too much, and from where?

The back of my engine has been getting oily the past 200,000 miles or so. Gets to be annoying but not drippy. EGR valve is also messy. So what is annoying is the car only has 700,000 miles on it. Never had the head off. Never had the oil pan off. So folks that have some real experience, how do...
  2. R

Strange noise when idling/driving

Tensioner is spring loaded with a dampener. Nothing to adjust. Go to idparts.com, enter your vehicle information, search for tensioner to see what it looks like.
  3. R

Strange noise when idling/driving

I had a squeak I could not find. When the alternator bearings seized up and started a fire I found the noise. That sounds like dry bearings someplace. Also there are bearings in the timing belt system that could go dry. Really you should not drive the car until you find the dry bearings fixing...
  4. R

Where to get the little plastic clips that break around the engine?

One supports the wire on the third injector. Clips around the vacuum pump that hold wires and hoses up. Probably some other clips I need to replace. I am having little luck looking on a VW parts website. Some VW dealer websites have little parts pictured. Others have some more but I am striking out.
  5. R

Low mileage 2003 Jetta wagon. What do I need?

Well that would be a bummer if it stops counting.
  6. R

Low mileage 2003 Jetta wagon. What do I need?

I bought my Jetta after Christmas 2002. 60+ oil changes, 6 timing belts, a few suspension refreshes, lots of tires. new injector bodies in the past year, injection pump replaced 200,000 miles ago, new alternator 250,000 miles ago (due for brushes and bearings). 610,000 miles on it without a head...
  7. R

Audi TT LCA Bushings

I get about 200,000 miles or more out of TT bushings on smooth roads. That would be 7 years or so. One thing nice about the Audi bushings is the control arm is less likely to flop around when worn compared with the original bushing that could even clunk when worn and torn.
  8. R

Basic Timing belt question

I am due for my sixth timing belt on my car as I near 600,000 miles. Long in the tooth is an odd phrase. Change the belt regularly and it will not be long in the tooth. Hee Hee. Some parts of the country do not have rust issues so a car can go as long as you want it to go. A timing belt here...
  9. R

'02 Jetta TDI with an appetite for alternators

To the guy that put a new regulator/brush pack in. I did the same thing. A year later I heard some noises but could not figure from where. My alternator started a fire. I happen to drink water when driving so I doused it with 2 liters of water after stopping and called a flatbed tow. I put in a...
  10. R

Alignment issue, rear bushings?

When I get an alignment the first thing they do is center the steering wheel. OK, maybe the second thing after they connect the sensors to all 4 wheels. Then they do a before reading and if nothing looks weird they go on to adjust. I get a print out of before and after measurements. If their...
  11. R

Reduced Clutch disengagement

Where did you purchase the parts from? Explain your bleeding technique.
  12. R

electrical issues - no blower motor, no wipers, no turns

Have you checked both sides of the fuse holder? One side should have 12 volts, or 13 volts.
  13. R

New clutch & flywheel, now have gear clash

Was sticky grease applied to to the transmission input shaft? Did you slide the driven clutch disk on and off the input shaft before assembling everything to make sure it is able to properly slide?
  14. R

Slow leak is driving me nuts

I thought aluminum wheels were powder coated inside and out to reduce that leakage.