Recent content by Rico567

1. R

Buyback Lessons Learned

My buyback was concluded on 8/11, per post #186 above, today I received the $350 from Bosch....so I guess this is the end of that.
  2. R

Heater core or not

When we had the symptoms you describe on our '13 Passat (since turned in for buyback), it turned out to be the heater core, which was replaced under the extended warranty. The person on the passenger side of the car in a trip home from VA had to have a blanket over their legs to keep warm.
  3. R

Buyback Lessons Learned

This is an interesting outcome. I turned in our Passat a day earlier, had the email receipt by the time I got home, still have not got the Chase e-mail....and presumably, all this stuff is being processed through the same office in MI. <UPDATE> Found Chase e-mail in my TRASH folder, not JUNK...
  4. R

Buyback Lessons Learned

<Concluding Unscientific Postscript> Turned the Passat in Tuesday, all went smoothly, about 20-25 minutes end-to-end. I have NOT received the payment e-mail from JPM Chase yet, and the "receipt" e-mail VW sent said I should have had that Friday (72 hours, as long as they are business days)...
  5. R

Passat turned in, ave atque vale!

I now take my leave of this forum, having today sold our first (and who knows, perhaps last…) diesel back to Volkswagen. I should state that it has been a great car, and were it not for Dieselgate, I’m certain we’d go on driving it as long as practical. I have read all the arguments on fix as...
  6. R

Current buy back timeline?

In answer to the last question: I'm not sure, but here goes. The first question: probably not. The second question: maybe.* The third question (implied, even though it lacks a question mark): it's probably a good idea, if it's still owned. *You can make more money letting it sit, as the mileage...
  7. R

We really liked the Sportback for the hatch, in the past we owned several SAAB hatchbacks, and really enjoyed the utility...the same reason we considered holding on to check out the Arteon when it arrives. But the Accord just struck us as the right car for us, and maybe we were ready for a...
  8. R

Buyback Lessons Learned

We didn't. We've owned this car since brand new, 5 years and almost 80K miles and it's been a great car. But the Passat goes in on Tuesday morning at 1030, and three days later Chase puts $27K in our bank account. Can't pass that up, no how, no way. If there were new VW diesels, we'd be...
  9. R

The tariffs weren't on our horizon when we pulled the trigger on a new car. The Sportback was on our short list, and we drove it. Very nice car. We ended up with the Honda Accord Touring, which we've had about a month now. The Passat goes back Tuesday, at which time I will of course cancel the...
  10. R

Yes, this risk is real. Everything you state is correct. What is the actual risk? Not large. I am 74 years old, and there is some statistically calculable risk that I will croak of something before I get to turn in the car on Tuesday. As with the car, I'm willing to risk it. Furthermore, I...
  11. R

At this point (August 4th), this needs to become a sticky in big black letters. Underlined. We completed our application back in 2016 sometime, and only a few weeks ago did I choose the turn-in date, which is next Tuesday. No reason not to have the registration done.
  12. R

Buyback or Fix?

I can't advise you what to do with your Jetta, only relate what we're doing. The short version is that we're turning in our Passat for the buyback money next Tuesday, but we did the registration and made the decision about what to do very early. Although VW has given us extended warranties on...
  13. R

One week warning e-mail

I got a very thorough and detailed e-mail from VWOA yesterday going over all the details, requirements, and payback estimate and method of payment for turning in our Passat on the 7th. I get the impression they really want this to happen.....
  14. R

40K mile service...

Below find the link to the thread on my DIY service on the DSG. The rest of the 40K, by comparison, was a piece of cake on our 2013. NOTE:The following DSG service incorporates the "measure and refill" method, NOT the VW "official" method. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=457823
  15. R

I signed and returned the offer letter well over a year ago. I took the process right up to the stage where the turn-in appointment is chosen. I left it there until a couple of weeks ago. We finally decided to buy a new car, did so, and I picked the earliest turn-in date at our local dealer...