Recent content by rhi

1. R

Uoa 507.00

8606, I took the liberty of combining your 7905 mile UOA on M1 ESP 5W-30 with my 5181 mile UOA (originally posted here). My engine is still relatively "new". Element(ppm) VOA UOA @ 5181 UOA @ 7905 ------- -------- -------- -------- Al 0 4 6 Cr 0...
  2. R

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 VW 507 00

I ran my first OCI of M1 5W-30 ESP 504/507 and posted the results here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2351703&postcount=835 I only ran it ~5k miles the first time to get a handle on TBN depletion. Looks like I can safely extend it. I plan to run the current fill out to 8k miles and...
  3. R

TDI Used Oil Lab Analyses Results & Discussions

Mobil 5W-30 ESP 507.00 5181 mile UOA Vehicle: 2006 A4 Golf TDI Tiptronic Miles on vehicle: 25,181 OCI: 5,181 (20,000 - 25,181) Mods: Magnetic drain plug Additives: Fuel: Powerservice White/Silver (depending on season): 4 oz/tank; Oil: None Element VOA(ppm) UOA @ 5181(ppm) -------...
  4. R

Oil Cos. inflating price for no reason! Mercedes claim

Fixed you up there, Dimitri: "There seems to be a BOGUS excuse or two for the diesel prices these days." Rich
  5. R

China is Sucking Up Our Diesel

C'mon, Lee...you shorted us a cubic inch: Olds had a 455. ;) Rich
  6. R

The Doom and Gloom Poll

I'm beginning to think the advent of ULSD was a double-edged sword. On the plus side, we have cleaner (supposedly) intakes and less emissions, but on the negative side our diesel is now coveted by the rest of the world. Back in the 500 ppm days, Europe didn't want our diesel... Rich
  7. R

The Doom and Gloom Poll

Indeed. The fundamentals that are always touted: China/India, refinery capacity, limited resource, falling dollar, etc. are certainly valid. However, this recent spike in D2 prices seems to have started (at least around here) in Feb 2008. I can't see anything that suddenly changed right at that...
  8. R

VOA Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 VOA from Blackstone Labs. Element Conc(ppm) ------------------------- Al 0 Cr 0 Fe 0 Cu 0 Pb 0 Sn 0 Mo 80 Ni 0 Mn 0 Ag 0 Ti 0 K 0 B 214 Si 3 Na 4 Ca 1062 Mg 7 P 764 Zn 908 Ba 0 ------------------------- SUS @ 210F 65.1 cSt @ 100C 11.63 Flashpt F 485 Insol % 0 TBN 5.1...
  9. R

UOA (5K) Mobil1 ESP 507

Assuming the analysis is correct, the only logical conclusion is that the oil sheared down in service. There's usually two competing factors at work, right ? The tendency for an oil to shear versus the accumulation of soot which tends to thicken it back up. Maybe 10k (60-70k) was just a little...
  10. R

Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 507

That must be what I was thinking of. Well, I ordered 6 liters from George. When my 20k change comes due (~ Feb), I'll send off a sample of the remainder of the 5th liter and see what it looks like. Or, if I'm feeling impatient, maybe I'll crack open the bottle early and send it off when I get...
  11. R

Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 507

wj, I thought I saw it posted on here, but I can't see to put my finger on it at the moment. I seem to remember Boron, Moly, typical "SM" levels of Zn and P and low ash. I'll keep looking... Rich
  12. R

Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 507

Butt dyno aside... :) Based on the spec sheet and some VOAs I've seen, the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 looks like a good formulation. I'm also currently a DID 5W-40 user and the thing that I notice is the difference in flash point between the two: DID is 198C while the Mobil is 254C (both by ASTM...
  13. R

Stanadyne Lubricity? Placebo or miracle?

Emulsifier = disperses moisture into the hydrophobic (diesel) phase Demulsifier = forces moisture out of the diesel phase I think Stanadyne is a demulsifier, hence the recommendation to check the fuel filter with more regularity. Rich
  14. R

Excess, unreacted "sodium methoxide" from the Biodiesel ? Rich
  15. R

Diecyl Plus, Emulsifier or Demulsifier ?

Excellent. I was hoping it was an emulsifier. Now, if I could just find an additive that would keep deer from jumping in front of my Golf, I'd be all set. :mad: Thanks, guys. Rich