Recent content by retmil46

1. R

AAZ vs M-TDI - 81 Mazda B2000?

Well, I've pretty much decided to convert my 81 Ford Courier electric pickup (which I described in a previous thread) over to diesel. Talking with the gent at Quality German Auto Imports this morning, he mentioned that several people had converted over Mazda pickups - and since the Courier was...
  2. R

TDI Conversion for Electric Pickup?

No, you didn't read the title wrong - I actually have a pickup that is a battery-only electric vehicle. I haven't driven it in a few years, and I'm thinking a diesel/TDI conversion to make it into a useful vehicle would be in order. It's a 1981 Ford Courier (re: Mazda B2000) that rolled off...
  3. R

GTG January 28,2012 Chapin, SC

Tell me about it! Grandma's maiden name was Abernethy.:D Back is still giving me fits this evening. Better not risk the drive, even if I am feeling good in the morning - my luck it'd end up going south to the point I couldn't manage to get back in the Jeep. That, and taking 100 mg ibuprofen...
  4. R

645, 647, 727, 728 here - in the back of the bus - an effin nuke.;) I did spend two years on the AS-31, moored in the middle of Holy Loch Scotland. Was there during the Falklands War, watched the Brits show once again why there "will always be an England".
  5. R

TDIClub Secret Society of Benz Owners (SSBO)

1987 300D Turbodiesel - 3 liter inline 6 OM603 engine - the "rocket ship" of 80's/early 90's MB diesels - fastest production diesel car in the world when it came out, top end of 125 mph. Actually, I'm on my second 87 300D - the first one (in my sig) was t-boned by a cellphone-yakking idiot in...
  6. R

Looks like I'll have to pass on this one, even though it's only a 2 hour drive. Went into work this morning, turned around and just took a step to start walking towards the truck I was working on - BAM!! - just like someone flipped a switch and suddenly I had sharp pain shooting up both sides...
  7. R

Cetane ratings of fuel companies

Man, you're in Kyle? I've got an old Navy friend and his family living there - they're in a subdivision on the east side of I-35, in behind the Family Dollar, on the highway that turns off and heads east beside the Valero station. He works at the Cowboy Honda motorcycle dealer there.
  8. R

Cetane ratings of fuel companies

Here in this neck of the woods, see if you can find a station supplied by Cary Oil. There's one indy station here locally (Coastal by brand) that installed new pumps and started selling diesel a year ago. I noticed an immediate jump in miles per tank, even in mixed driving, in both the '87 MB...
  9. R

Winter Blend Diesel and additives

Yep, '87 300D had an OM603 engine, inline six. Only year they had that engine in a 300D. Didn't have another inline six in a 300D until the mid 90's.
  10. R

Winter Blend Diesel and additives

Some older diesels actually recommend mixing in kerosene with #2 diesel if #1 diesel or winterized fuel isn't available. From the owners manual of my '87 MB 300D Turbo, old fashioned 3.0 L inline six IDI - "At temperatures below 32F, use winterized or # 1 diesel fuel only. If not available...
  11. R

Fuel Tax of $1.00 per gallon

There would be a way to get money for road maintenance, and drive the price of gas back up to reduce consumption and emcourage people to buy fuel efficient vehicles, and allow the most economically viable of the alternatives to prove themselves - all without passing any new taxes. Simply...
  12. R

Fuel Tax of $1.00 per gallon

The government will just flat out waste the money. Until you can come up with an iron-clad way to ensure the tax money is spent for what it was originally intended - road maintenance, alt fuels, etc, - then h### no, no more taxes on fuel. First, you show me that you can make the government live...
  13. R

GM issues recall on all employees' matching 401k contributions

When they renege on the golden parachutes for the top execs, then you'll know two things - one, they're REALLY in deep doo-doo, and two, they're finally serious about saving the company. Always been amazing to me - a CEO can work for only a couple years, walk out the door with millions...
  14. R

Official details and images for Chevy Volt

If you think the $40K price tag is a bit much, just wait for the day when you'd have to pop for replacing the battery pack out of warranty, out of pocket and all in one chunk, just to keep the beast running.:eek:
  15. R

Toronto Ditching Hybrid and switching to Diesel

If they were built by Daimler, no wonder they're not living up to the hype.:rolleyes: Look at what they did to Chrysler, and what they're doing now to their own heavy truck division - closing St Thomas and Portland, Cleveland NC cut back to RHD and military vehicles, everything else built in...