Recent content by redpill

1. R

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Keep in mind a lot of folks aren't going to be in any particular rush to get it done, so it will probably linger for some time until local emissions requirements (if they exist) force their hand. It'll certainly happen faster in CA and other states that follow CARB guidelines. In any of the...
  2. R

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

I thought I heard him say they were considering buybacks as an option. The only thing I heard him rule out is that they wouldn't be willing to provide people loaner/rental vehicles today, as the EPA says the cars are safe and legal to drive as-is thus there is no reason to do that. That...
  3. R

Don't be too harsh on him, it must have been the 1% :)
  4. R

I bet the Gen I fix is going to be a total hack job. Not only is it going to take them longer to figure out how to do it, but I bet they are thinking the longer they wait the more non-owners will start to forget about the entire subject.
  5. R

Need to wait to hear the details, but if they are saying this is a software-only solution, it's gonna get ugly. That being said, I don't see why it would cost $6.6 billion if it's just a re-flash, that would be ~$600 per car if they did all 11 million.
  6. R

Well I certainly hope the slurpee cup was biodegradable.
  7. R

Won't happen. All they have to do is present a plan in 10 days, not implement it. They'll throw together something vaguely worded that satisfies the requirement and then get to work on the details.
  8. R

I can hear Heidi Klum in my head saying "or you're OUT!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64jST_wDAME
  9. R

EVs typically get charged in the middle of the night, that part is a non-issue, they can't compete with the human love of air conditioning at 2pm :)
  10. R

True, but bringing those into compliance is likely going to be a lot easier than the cars without. And I have a feeling the story behind those CKRA engines is going to be a different branch on this tree.
  11. R

Sigh. I'd say piss on VW but if they had just used that urea to begin with we wouldn't have this problem :)
  12. R

It's a myopic view to suggest that we can't simultaneously move toward lower emissions on the generation and use side. The unspoken suggestion is that as long as coal is being used somewhere we shouldn't move toward EV usage is just silly. Attempts to make vehicles with no tailpipe emissions...