Recent content by rdb

1. R

A4 Timing Belt Video? Who wants one

I would very much like to get one as well - tape or CD would work for me. Thanks, rdb
  2. R

How many gallon can you fit in your tank ??

The most I've ever gotten into my A4 Jetta tank was 16.05 Gallons - when I was able to do my own fill (I still live in one of the two states where it's illegal to pump your own - New Jersey...) I'm still looking forward to doing 900 miles on a tank full - with that 16+ Gal fill I went 875... I...
  3. R

Which came first: wanting a TDI or stumbling across Fred's?

Re: Which came first: wanting a TDI or stumbling across Fred\'s? I think it went something like this: I'm always interested in high-tech and don't mind being a little different. Looking for a vehicle with the ultimate fuel efficiency - I had read about the Prius and tried to find one to look...
  4. R

Be aware!

Don't forget that it would then have aload on it and would burn somewhat more fuel. Speaking of generators, though, I just looked up the fuel (gasoline) consumption of my little ONAN genset in my camper van: it's got a 197 cc engine and burns 0.20 gal/hr with NO load -- that's an engine with...
  5. R

Be aware!

fyi: my vag-com shows that my TDI burns about 0.3 l/hr when fully warmed up and somewhat more (0.4 to 0.5 l/hr) when its colder. That fully warmed figure converts to about 0.08 gal/hr, so even when its cold it would take 8 to 10 hours to burn one gallon of fuel and something like 12 hours when...
  6. R

No more oil pan heaters available!!!

I'm in the market for one as well. Count me in if it happens soon! RDB
  7. R

Premier in Maryland? Probably not.

While in Georgia last week I filled up at an Amoco station on Rt.53 in Marble Hill, GA (about 60 mi north of Atlanta). The pump was marked "Premier", but the people inside didn't have a clue when asked about it. If anyone has can find out whether this is really Premier it would be real handy...
  8. R

Scan Tool Observations

Karl, When my Jetta is fully warmed up, it too reads 0.3 l/hr at idle and I suspect this is quite accurate! RDB
  9. R

Timing Can Be Changed

Karl, Thanks for the heads-up! This is precisely the timing reading I was referring to in my other post yesterday. Incidentally, my timing is typically advanced by 0.2 degrees using this method - this seems to be somewhat above the line in the timing graph (the shaded area represents...
  10. R

Scan Tool Observations

Karl, Thanks for the advice, but I've already been in touch with Uwe - I don't believe this has anything to do with the VAG-COM - it's probably a limitation of the ECU/Communications port... Gary, Thanks for your observations, but I believe that fuel consumption data can be obtained - one of...
  11. R

Scan Tool Observations

While driving from NJ to GA last weekend I tried to get some real-time data from my VAG-COM and found that the engine controller can not be accessed at highway speeds. If anyone else has noticed this behavior, I found that once that controller is initialized (with the car at rest or close to...
  12. R

diesel prices vs. unleaded prices

Most of our local stations here in NJ seem to be selling Diesel at the same price as super unleaded, some even a few pennies more. Since nobody here has "premium" fuel, I deal with an off-brand and religiously use my additive cocktail containing cetane boost and lubricity enhancers, etc. This...
  13. R

Who has a Vag-com, scan tool, and where?

Thanks to Uwe I have a cable which'll work with my Compaq laptop, also the software, but not the CD ROM yet (planned for purchase fairly soon...) I am usually located in eastern Monmouth County, NJ. RDB
  14. R

Who has a Vag-com, scan tool, and where?

Thanks to Uwe I have a cable which'll work with my Compaq laptop, also the software, but not the CD ROM yet (planned for purchase fairly soon...) I am usually located in eastern Monmouth County, NJ. RDB
  15. R

A big THANKS from Ross-Tech

I also should be thanking Uwe - My car and I were fortunate to be included in this alpha testing! I believe there were several items on the TDI which did not quite behave as expected and finding out about them enabled Uwe to write the proper code which'll recognize our cars. I am also happy to...