Recent content by Rapidrob

1. Rapidrob

Part replacement questions on '96 TDI Passat

I'm getting ready for a 4,000 mile trip. And I need to do some part replacement due to age/ minor leaks. 1. The T-stat is now stuck open and needs to be replaced. What temp in F do I need to get? 180 or 195F? 2. Should I replace the T-stat housing inlet pipe as well? What is it really called? 3...
  2. Rapidrob

How long to remove turbo from the engine block?

I don't have a working VAG COM,it died. I have an aftermarket reader and will try to pull up a code. My engine will go into the limp mode if I exceed 3,000 RPM up hill. Resets after cycling the ignition key. How hard is it to get to the waste-gate control arm? From the top or bottom of the...
  3. Rapidrob

How long to remove turbo from the engine block?

My turbos vanes are not moving properly. The engine is in a constant overbooked condition How long does it take to remove the tubo from the engine. My 1.9 is iintercooled.what gaskets and the like should I have on hand? ############## I have seen liquid tubo cleanes for sale. Are they worth a...
  4. Rapidrob

Loss of power with no CEL light?

Very well done vidio on the turbo. Thank you for the link.
  5. Rapidrob

I'll give that a try.
  6. Rapidrob

Yes, I read all the info links posted. Yesterday was the first time I was able to get the old laptop to work for VAGCOM.
  7. Rapidrob

00575 - Intake Manifold Pressure: Control Difference Possible Symptoms Reduced Power Possible Causes Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75) defective Hoses incorrect connected, disconnected, blocked or leaking In 1Z/AHU engines, stuck/rusted wastegate or actuator. Possible...
  8. Rapidrob

I spent the last six hours repairing an old laptop I bought in 1998 that has VAGCOM on it and plugged it into my Passat. Only one code showed up. 00575: Intake Manifold Pressure 17-10 Control Deference Intermittent no idea what that means or how to correct it. MAP sensor? The other more advanced...
  9. Rapidrob

The wagon has done this every time I drive at 75 of faster ( passing a truck). In the past, when the engine went into limp mode, it was a cracked or broken vacuum line going to the computer. The lines are new silicon now. Before,the engine would loose almost all of its power, now it is loosing...
  10. Rapidrob

It did it again today. Climbing a steep hill at 65 MPH I had to pass a semi and floored it. The engine went from 2,500 RPM to 3,000 RPM and was pulling hard for about five seconds and then started to loos power again. It stayed that way for two miles until I could safely pull over. I shut the...
  11. Rapidrob

I have a HF code reader that's all.
  12. Rapidrob

'96 Passat TDII was cruising along at 65 MPH for 40 miles and came to a nine mile long 15% grade hill where the speed limit went up to 75 MPH. I set the cruise to 75 MPH and was rolling along. About 1/2 way up the hill my engine slowly lost about 20% of its power. It was N O T in limp mode. I...
  13. Rapidrob

Intermittent Check engine light

I borrowed a VAG COM from a friend who owns an Audi. The error code said EGR valve, The sensor for the EGR valve is remote. I removed the air box for the filter and the two air plenums and I found two "mouse chewed" wires in the bundle at the lower rear of the air box. A Yellow and Black wire...
  14. Rapidrob

Intermittent Check engine light

'96 Passat TDI wagon. For the last month or so I've been getting an intermittent Check Engine light when the engine is cold and the engine is at a lower than highway speed. After ten minutes or so, the light gets very dim,flickers and then goes out and stays out. I do not own a VAGCOM. All of...