Recent content by rallywagon

1. R

Ticking noise on ALH motor...

Coasting downhill in gear. Computer pretty much cuts fuel. Over 10 years with 0W40 and no issues in 2 diesels and 2 gassers.
  2. R

Which TDI has the best robust engine type?

My '98 Jetta with AHU is still my daily driver with 316k miles. Injectors were replaced at 230k miles. Other than timing belts, the engine has needed: the accessory belt tensioner lubed, the starter brushes replaced, and the main electrical relay replaced. (Compared to my son's 2000 Jetta...
  3. R

Ticking noise on ALH motor...

So, I should have followed up, but life keeps you busy. My son's 2000 Jetta ALH with the tick..... - Removed valve cover & top timing belt cover, used small plastic screw driver handle or dowel rod and pressed on each cam follower/lifter (rotated engine to unload all 8 lifters for this check...
  4. R

Dallas Area Mechanics for TDI (2000 Jetta)?

Thanks, all. I looked for the list with no luck this morning before asking. But, once you mentioned "trusted mechanics," a search took me right to the list. Scott
  5. R

Dallas Area Mechanics for TDI (2000 Jetta)?

My son is headed to the Dallas area today, a 1,000 mile drive from his NC home. He is spending the Summer there. His 2000 Jetta is running well, but it has 357k miles on it. Could anyone recommend a trustworthy and knowledgeable TDI mechanic in the area just in case he needs one? Thanks!
  6. R

Cheap. old Rear Shock for '98 Jetta?

Weird request here. One of my Bilstein B6 rear shocks blew out on my Jetta. Apparently, because of COVID, the warranty replacement will not be available for a long while. I am looking for a cheap shock to get by for a few months. Anyone within a few minutes drive of Asheville or Greenville...
  7. R

AC Question...Need Opinions, Please.

Thanks, Oilhammer. One more piece of info I forgot....when I emptied the system before the RCV change, even though both ports/gauges showed empty (no pressure), the compressor head popped open as I loosened the screws. So, I am guessing there was some pressure trapped between the discharge...
  8. R

AC Question...Need Opinions, Please.

All, My son has a 2000 Mk4 (original Sanden compressor probably) with 350k miles, yes 350k. Until today, we have never touched the AC in the 5 years or so that we have owned the car. Air conditioning was working fine last Summer, but this Summer it is not. I checked all the basics...both...
  9. R

Eletronic Trunk Release Not Working

I will add to this thread. My son's 2000 Jetta Sedan...trunk remote control and switch in driver's door panel quit working..... 1. At first we could hear the actuator in the trunk lid, but it would not pop open. The key worked mechanically in the trunk. 2. Eventually, only a click under the...
  10. R

exhaust removal advice

Get them just about red hot and spray on PB Blaster. It stinks, but it still does really well with heat and does not just flash away like many penetrants. Keep it wet with PB until it cools, then try back and forth, tighter/looser.
  11. R

URGENT - EGR Cooler - Hose Diameters?

So, upon further inspection with the engine warmed up, I have a pin hole in on of the hoses under the injection pump. On order. The drips were spraying and trickling off of the back of the pan fooling me. Thanks for the input!
  12. R

I was just out looking at my car...I am not sure the EGR cooler is the source of my leak. It is a steady drip down the back of the engine, but I can't find the source, yet. Nothing else is back there, right? The hose connections are all dry...maybe the cooler is actually cracked? Thanks.
  13. R

I have sprung a leak at my EGR cooler ('98 Jetta manual), and I have been searching the forums. But, I can not confirm the inner diameters of the 2 larger coolant lines and one smaller. I have to do a road-side repair today, and this info would be really helpful. I want to couple the larger...