Recent content by pruzink

1. P

Transmission issue

The Jatco JF506E transmissions in these cars have problems with the solenoids failing. I had mine replaced at 190,000 when the transmission shifted very badly into & out of 1st gear. After all of the solenoids were replaced, the problem persisted & it ended up being a short in a wire going to...
  2. P

Replacing Driver's rear brake caliper

A very simple way to quickly bleed brakes by yourself is to replace your bleed valves with speedbleeders. A speedbleeder has a small spring loaded ball check built into it that will not allow air to suck back through it as you release the pedal during bleeding.
  3. P

Agm or Lead Acid? Whats everyones favorite?

I would suggest staying with a basic lead/acid battery purchased locally. Buy the battery with the best warranty & be certain to save your receipt in the glove compartment. I purchased two Odyssey batteries from on line websites. I was very pleased with the life of the 1st battery which is...
  4. P

Headliner adhesive that works?

I have been thinking about doing the same thing (removing the headliner & coating it with some type of paint). The headliner & the door cards are made of a pressed cardboard, I can't imagine that very thin layer of foam offering any protection from a head impact. It's isn't like your head...
  5. P

Fuel filter check valve bad. What happens?

The only reason that I replaced this part with a Kerma widget is because I thought that these 3 way valves were cheaply made & that it MIGHT fail in the future. When I would do the diesel purge procedure on my car (you run the car off of 100% Diesel Purge for about 30 minutes until you empty...
  6. P

Fuel filter check valve bad. What happens?

I see that you live in New Orleans. If the 3 way thermostatic valve is stuck in the position where it always sends 100% of the return fuel from the fuel rail back to the tank, I would just leave it that way. I replaced my valve with a "Kerma Widget" about 10 years ago which just plugs the hole...
  7. P

Mahle Turbo, 2004 BEW

There is a pretty good chance that it just your vacuum actuator or an issue with your vacuum lines causing your problem. I have 220,000 miles on my original Borg Warner KP 39 turbo and when I used Vagcom to see if the turbo was delivering the required air, it just wasn't doing what it was told...
  8. IMG_3545.JPG

IMG_3545.JPG

Door panel 4
  9. IMG_3543.JPG

IMG_3543.JPG

Door panel 3
  10. IMG_3541.JPG

IMG_3541.JPG

Door panel 2
  11. IMG_3539.JPG

IMG_3539.JPG

Door panel 1
  12. P

Possible parasitic draw problem....

I was having some electrical issues with my 2004 BEW Jetta. 1st I changed the battery & then the alternator with no success. The issue ended up being the fuseable link from the alternator to the battery. Looking at it, this fuseable link looked fine, it wasn't until I removed it that I saw...
  13. P

Crank no start after fuel pump and filter replacement

A good way to diagnose any issues with your fuel system is to do a "Diesel Purge" procedure. You remove your fuel filter & put a quart can of Diesel Purge in its place. There are 4 hoses that connect to your fuel filter. Some of the vendors that specialized in catering to TDI owners used to...
  14. P

When the crankshaft sensor failed on my 2004 Jetta, it did not set any codes. The car would just intermittently stall at or near idle.
  15. P

The 2004 BEW Jetta has "Pump Deuse" unit injectors (no injection pump).