Recent content by PradoTDI

1. PradoTDI

BHW to BEW VNT-17 Compressor Housing Interchangeability

I've just been doing some reading about the different turbos and came across that fact. Looks like the BEW came with a BW KP39, which has a smaller compressor wheel and a different style of attaching the compressor housing. VNT-17's are available as an upgrade for the BEW, but from what I can...
  2. PradoTDI

Good to know. Looks like I’ll have to read up on turbo measurements and keep an eye out for an old BEW turbo to scavenge parts from!
  3. PradoTDI

Does anyone know if the compressor housing from a VNT-17 BEW turbo would fit on a GT1749va from a BHW? I have a 1749 on my ALH, but the compressor outlet is not in an ideal location and the 90º turn on the BEW compressor housing would be perfect.
  4. PradoTDI

Boost and/or Fueling Issues After 1019 Nozzles and Stage 4

Absolutely, even they had only been in for about 6 months and less than 3000km. I consider myself lucky that there wasn’t any engine damage.
  5. PradoTDI

I bought the new nozzles from KermaTDI and had them mount and calibrate them. Absolutely stunning the difference it made. I have since adjusted the IQ value to around 6.5-7.0mg/str and it starts much better and has a bit more power. Temps are slightly higher but still totally within reason; I...
  6. Old Injectors

Old Injectors

7. PradoTDI

Best mk4 TDI injectors?

I used Malone for my Stage 4 because the engine I got came with their tune loader and a Stage 1. I've been very happy with their service thus far. I bought injector nozzles from Kerma and had them mount and calibrate them and they did a superb job. I cannot recommend using cheap nozzles or...
  8. PradoTDI

Ford ranger TDI

My LandCruiser weighed around 4800lbs stock; the TDI is a bit lighter than the original engine but with front and rear ARB bumpers, a rooftop tent and a bunch of junk always in the back it is likely over 5000lbs. The ALH pulls it along just fine, even when it only had a Stage 1 tune. It's no...
  9. PradoTDI

Ford ranger TDI

In Europe Touaregs were available with a 6-speed manual behind the 2.5 I5 TDI and the 3.0 V6 TDI. The I5 produced 161hp and 295lb-ft, so easily within the range of a tuned BHW. However, if going to the effort to swap a Touareg, why not just start with a V6 TDI and swap in a Euro manual transmission?
  10. PradoTDI

Ford ranger TDI

Looks great! Any performance upgrades to the engine? I really wish I could have used a BHW instead of an ALH in my swap, but I was working with stuff that was available. 28.5mpg sounds pretty good, I have averaged around 23mpg in my LandCruiser since the swap. You must have gotten the same...
  11. Prado Snow

Prado Snow

12. PradoTDI

Figured I should update this thread. I recently installed rebuilt, properly calibrated injectors with Bosio DLC1019 nozzles. The difference is night and day! There's significantly less power than before, but it still pulls quite well. I think it was way over fueled and making much more power...
  13. PradoTDI

1999 ALH into a VW '73 VW Bus

It is my understanding that prior to 2001 the ECU didn't have the VIN programmed in.
  14. PradoTDI

ALH FJ40 109 relay HELP

I have a 2.25” downpipe widening to 2.5” side exit, no muffler. Planning to make a pie-cut 2.5” downpipe one of these days.
  15. PradoTDI

ALH FJ40 109 relay HELP

Doesn’t the BHW have a built in pyrometer to monitor and adjust fuel and boost to keep EGT’s in check?