Recent content by Powder Hound

1. Powder Hound

03 Jetta Dash lights no crank

Or maybe the load reduction relay is somehow causing it. And you may want to look into a new ignition switch. Identifying which of these is going to be interesting. Good luck! Cheers, PH
  2. Powder Hound

HC issue

If you decide to use a green coolant, just give the car away. Using green with the G13 will cause a sludge that will kill the engine. Anything green coolant can do, the G13 will do easily as well. Whoever told you to use it should not be entrusted with anything related to a car except maybe...
  3. Powder Hound

Coolant leak

You will either pay for the repair or take it in the shorts in loss of value of you sell a car needing repair. The oil filter housing will either need seals refreshed or the oil cooler part of the housing is cracked. I'm betting the seals, but the labor is the same in either case. If you...
  4. Powder Hound

What did you do to your MkVI-A6 today?

Today I changed the timing belt on my wife's '13 JSW. Still to go are the 3 filters as well as engine and transaxle oils. Cheers, PH
  5. Powder Hound

Murphy 's Law Corollary 1: The Law of Lost Things

I'm writing today to tell you that the Law of Lost Things is still going strong. Since Murphy lives at my house, it would only be surprising if it didn't work out, but here is one of the more clear examples. First, if you don't know this corollary, it is simply stated: If an item is lost then...
  6. Powder Hound

massive turbo explosion on fire from a litteral coal burning monster

This is what happens when you don't use a waste gate. Cheers, PH
  7. Powder Hound

5 amp fuse keeps blowing on TDI

You could carefully check the entire path of the wiring from fuse to motor. In fact, try unplugging the motor and then see if the sue still blows, or just gets hot. Better still, just unplug the motor and then check the fuse for current flow. It sounds like the motor would still be good, but...
  8. Powder Hound

Parting out 2003 Wagon AHL

I really want to see pictures of those spark plugs. Cheers, PH
  9. Powder Hound

No longer ISO ALH or PD Golf, Jetta wagon, auto

Unfortunately, all of those I have seen that are driveable are well beyond my price range. Believe me, there is nothing I would like more than the latest and greatest, but it just isn't in the cards right now. Cheers, PH
  10. Powder Hound

Dude, I showed the missus your reply. She gave you the single digit 'you're #1' reply. I have to agree. I have a partnership and a great partner, not a piece of chattel. Cheers, PH
  11. Powder Hound

Found one. It is a 2013 Jetta Sport Wagon. It needs a little work, as in all the major maintenance items (Timing belt, engine oil & trans service, and anything else you can think of), but it drives nicely and the new driver is looking forward to driving it. That's after the 300+ mile test...
  12. Powder Hound

2004 BEW TDI Smyth Golf Ute (DFW, TX)

Nicely done. GLWS. Cheers, PH
  13. Powder Hound

No longer ISO (looking for) a Golf...

Found one. It is a 2013 Jetta Sport Wagon. It needs a little work, as in all the major maintenance items (Timing belt, engine oil & trans service, and anything else you can think of), but it drives nicely and the new driver is looking forward to driving it. Thanks to everyone who had a good...
  14. Powder Hound

Timing belt kit at RockAuto ?

Of course, you are assuming the sticker remains in place and the writing you carefully filled out does not fade. Cheers, PH
  15. Powder Hound

Replace timing belt at 11.5 years but only 40k miles?

When I changed my Y2K Golf's belt a couple of months ago, it was at 97k miles and at least 15 years. Belt looked like it could go another 15 years. The water pump was a different story however, showing signs of slow leakage. So that's why my coolant kept disappearing from the reservoir...