Recent content by Porch

1. Porch

How do you remove panoramic sunroof sunshade repair?

After the vinyl is on, no need for an insert unless you want noise reduction. The white vinyl is kind of dimly translucent and makes the roof feel light and airy, without the heat and creaking of the past. In the meantime, a thermarest or other camping sleep pad works.
  2. Porch

Things to know before buying a TDI Sportwagen??

When I got my jsw, the sunroof shade was destroyed, but the sunroof itself worked fine. Except it leaked water into the car. So I went to work snipping the nipples at the bottom of all 4 drain tubes, then flossing the tubes with weedeater string, checking the connections at the tops of the...
  3. Porch

Things to know before buying a TDI Sportwagen??

Get the vin number of the car, input into vwdiesellookup.com to see if it's still covered under that warranty. If so, and it's becoming harder to find one with any warranty left, get it and enjoy some free dealer service and a free loaner car while you wait. Mine got a new intake manifold, new...
  4. Porch

2012 jsw long crank lots of grey smoke first start of day.

My JSW was doing that when I was working in vail, CO- long crank on first start, puff of white smoke, then fine all day after that. When I went down the hill, it never happened again. My car was deleted, and its hpfp had blown up and then been replaced, along with the entire fuel system, long...
  5. Porch

What Upgrades to Perform at 130,000 Timing Belt Service?

Full sized spare wheel/tire, if you don't already have one..
  6. Porch

Farewell for now, tdiclub!

Just sold the JSW. Drove it from 87k to 235k miles, and on a recent work trip to colorado, with a little too much money in my pocket and probably too many post-work beers in my belly, I bought a bmw 530xi wagon with a 6 speed manual transmission, in Atlanta, sight unseen, like a real live...
  7. Porch

What did you do to your MkVI-A6 today?

I could use a driver's seat for my 235k jsw, if yours is in good shape, and maybe some body panels. What color is the interior/exterior on your parts car?
  8. Porch

Got the P0638 code last night

💯 a warranty issue, if you haven't modified your engine or exhaust. You could even get a new cylinder head if they break off a glow plug in it while they're doing this repair, like my car did with 300 miles left on the warranty! EDIT: just saw the dates on the warranty comments. I hope there's...
  9. Porch

High mileage CR - post it up!

234k now on the JSW, selling to my friend the vw mechanic because I can't stand the exhaust anymore(deleted), and I need 4wd for snow driving. The bmw wagon I bought, however, is more of a restoration project than I was hoping for. That's what I get for buying a car sight unseen, I guess.
  10. Porch

AC blows warm at idle, gets moderate cold at constant highway speed.....

Compressor. Replace it before it dies and grenades your whole ac system, much like the fuel pump does to the fuel system when it blows up. Both things happened to my car. 1-800 radiator can get you a compressor for a good price.
  11. Porch

2014 Sportwagen prolong crank starts

I'll add, I've had to delay cranking pre- and post-hpfp repair as well.
  12. Porch

2014 Sportwagen prolong crank starts

Try waiting a few seconds after the glow plugs cycle, especially in the morning. I've had to wait in the morning now for years, pre- and post-delete. If I try to crank right after the gp light goes off, it acts just like you're describing.
  13. Porch

2013 JSW Dieselgate Warranty Success

Yeah dealer service was a nice perk of my jsw ownership. They replaced everything covered under the warranty except the turbo, hpfp, and the engine block. Free loaner cars, all of which were nice but got atrocious gas mileage. Of course, first repair out of warranty was the hpfp, which cost...
  14. Porch

P2002 Again After Only 2,500 Miles !

Maybe throw some diesel kleen in there before your trip, can't hurt. And change your fuel filter if it's due.
  15. Porch

'13 JSW TDI, P1A58 code and DPF light on

If you're not gonna sell it or do a delete, you have to always drive like you're trying to do a regen- no lugging around under 1800rpm, and long stretches on cruise at 1800-2200 rpm, as much as possible. And always DO let the engine idle a bit in the morning, but only for like a minute or 2, not...