Recent content by pkforbes87

1. pkforbes87

High mileage CR - post it up!

2013 Passat 6M no storage sign
  2. pkforbes87

What tires are you guys running?

I'm a big fan of Michelin Defenders. I'm on my 3rd set. First sets lasted 116k and 125k miles. These tires perform great for my long haul highway driving needs, with wet handling only tapering off beyond 100k.
  3. pkforbes87

High mileage CR - post it up!

418k miles on my 2013 6M
  4. pkforbes87

Real World MPG - 6 speed Manual

I got 116,399 miles out of these Michelin Defenders on my 2013 Passat SE 6M. Could have been more, but alignment got knocked out of whack and I didn't realize it until I saw the tire wear. Lifetime average of 46.42mpg with this car. (204,505 miles total currently) I'm not sure if other tires...
  5. pkforbes87

23O6 Emissions Service Action

23O6 only applies to non-DEF common rails. The Passat engines got 23N5 issued, but 2015 models may not be affected by that recall campaign.
  6. pkforbes87

TDI Used Oil Lab Analyses Results & Discussions

No, I'm not using 5w40. Anyone else using Amsoil Euro 5w30? Is it just a little on the thick side? The aluminum concerns me a little, but I've been told that's normal on common rails without an EGR delete. Living in CA, there's no EGR delete in my future.
  7. pkforbes87

I agree 100%. Mine spends its life averaging a little over 1000 miles/week on the interstate and it performs exponentially better than any other vehicle I can imagine driving in the same way. FYI, I've seen slowly but consistently improving fuel economy since passing 100k miles with a...
  8. pkforbes87

Yes, been using the Amsoil ever since I bought the car at 32k. I average just over 1k miles/week so take that report in some context. The attractive results may be partially due to the fact that my engine sees an abnormally low number of heat cycles during its 10k mile OCI.
  9. pkforbes87

FWIW, I had my Passat's oil tested at 130k and it looked ok. 10k on the oil, Blackstone said 12k wouldn't be out of the question. (I'll be sticking with 10k) My Passat has had the 23N5 update since January 2015. 23N5 applies to the Passat, 23O6 applies to the Jetta and Golf platforms. Both...
  10. pkforbes87

Scan Gauge II XGauge - EGT & Boost

I have a Polar FIS+ unit on my 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, and I monitor a parameter labeled as oil temp. I've seen multiple sources say that this car doesn't have an oil temp sensor, but I find that hard to believe after observing the gauge for thousands of miles. It hovers around 235-240F during...
  11. pkforbes87

>1000 mile tank from 2013 Passat 6M

My Passat is bone stock and does have the 23N5 software update. This sort of fuel economy comes mainly from monitoring ScanGauge and PolarFIS data closely over time to learn what conditions result in the best fuel economy. I filled up at a Sinclair in Idaho Falls, ID - with winter blended...
  12. pkforbes87

Let me start by saying this is not "real world mpg", but it is possible on a bone stock 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M. I filled up at a Sinclair in Idaho Falls, ID - with winter blended diesel of all things. This trip included two overnight stops in Layton, UT and St. George, UT, and two stops at job...
  13. pkforbes87

I've seen no noticeable decrease in fuel economy due to 23N5. It shouldn't have had a big effect on anything but DEF usage. Jettas/Golfs got recall 23O6 as the equivalent of our Passats getting 23N5 - the goal of each was to decrease NOx emissions. Those models need to use extra fuel to...
  14. pkforbes87

February 2016 Mileage Thread

Driver: pkforbes87 Miles: 587 Gallons: 12.642 Model Year: 2013 Model: Passat Tranny: 6M Fuel Type: ULSD Feb 1, 2016 Driver: pkforbes87 Miles: 586 Gallons: 13.03 Model Year: 2013 Model: Passat Tranny: 6M Fuel Type: ULSD Feb 15, 2016 Driver: pkforbes87 Miles: 793 Gallons: 17.363 Model Year: 2013...
  15. pkforbes87

Next generation renewable diesel now available in NorCal?

I've not experienced a significant hit to fuel economy on HPR. Over 7 tanks of HPR and 6 tanks of B0 from Shell, I'm seeing 48.8 from HPR and 51.1 from B0. It might affect my CR differently than older models though. The huge selling point for me is the fact that burning cleaner could prevent...