Recent content by peter pyce

1. P

Mazda SkyActiv Diesel Engine

The interesting part is that Edmunds have been listing the Mazda3 2.2 Diesel for long time now, but not the Mazda6.... here a link: http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mazda3/2013/features-specs.html?style=101379659 Why would they go through the trouble to make the pages ready if such car would not...
  2. P

Horrific Understeer

So, you went to a track day on All-Season 540 tread wear index tires and now you are going to spend hundreds of dollars on stupid parts to "fix the horrific under-steer".... Do yourself a favor and get the stickiest tires you can afford. If you can't afford four, get two of them and put them...
  3. P

Jetta IV vs. Jetta VI rear suspension stuff ...

Hi Club, We were doing some experiments with the new VI rear suspension, which required some schematics for calculating dynamic camber and toe changes, so I thought some here would be interested to see the general (visible) difference at least. This is very quick and dirty, low quality and...
  4. Jetta-4-vs-6-003

Jetta-4-vs-6-003

5. Jetta-4-vs-6-002

Jetta-4-vs-6-002

6. Jetta-4-vs-6-001

Jetta-4-vs-6-001

7. P

changing koni yellow to koni red valving

you can start from this post: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1648157&postid=17533361#17533361 that is for the front (half way on page 7 if the link does not bring you right on the post). to get it as close to the stock values, look for V1.2 and read how is that achieved. you can...
  8. P

OEM spring + Koni red? Other strut options?

Setting Koni Red on HALF stiff with stock springs is simply defeating the whole purpose of getting Koni Reds. 50% stiff (about a full turn) is way too much for the stock spring. It ruins the almost perfect compression-rebound ratio the Reds have when set on full soft. Jacking-down is your daily...
  9. P

Bilstein - Koni - ?

Yes, I tried to help. Never kept anything for myself and never profited from it either! The information is actually all out there, the minimum requirement is to read. Only those who do not want to read will not benefit. Well, plus those who just do not want to accept the facts and prefer living...
  10. P

Bilstein - Koni - ?

I was referring to the principle, not the mechanism. The principle of very low level of damping when you do not need it. This is what FSD boils down to - very low level (almost non-existing!) of rebound damping at high frequency, or even better - at short shaft movements (to say it in a more...
  11. P

Bilstein - Koni - ?

Oh, sorry, forgot that you were actually the one who modified their dampers! My apologies, I made a wrong statement above..... How many miles on the new oil?
  12. P

Bilstein - Koni - ?

I was not referring to the issue and the (still strange to me) mismatch in the very first batch. Those are long gone, the car is gone, everything is history. My point was and still is that the FSD "technology" is nothing really super/special/exotic/high-tech/intelligent/self-adjusting/clever and...
  13. P

Bilstein - Koni - ?

What Bilstein is doing is absolutely nothing new. Sachs had this concept years ago and in a lot smaller car like the Class A Mercedes (refer to the old "what is handling" thread). It is really nothing new, just things slowly filter to the lower floors, so you can get them now for a 20K car. I...
  14. P

Bilstein - Koni - ?

Nothing has changed in the damper's world and will not change too much too soon. My point was that marketing hype could be very misleading in guiding the purchase. Basing a damper choice on "If Lamborghini has, it must be good" is simply naive.
  15. P

Bilstein - Koni - ?

Would you buy Bilstein if i tell you that Lamborghini decided to ditch the FSD as standard equipment and use Bilstein "to soften the ride"?