Recent content by pb88

1. P

Car won't start, won't jump, "Error: ESP"

the 40k service is in the 400+ range, the DSG service is in that range too. So that's a $900 bill at the Volkswagen dealership in Seattle. You act like I'm an idiot. You say the DSG is "better" than a normal auto transmission but how so exactly? In the driving experience it does not shift...
  2. P

Yeah it was the DSG service tacked on that made the 40k service nuts. If I had to do it over again, I'd either skip the Diesel engine or find a manual transmission. Or go with a different make altogether. Many companies offer more substantial warranty periods. 36k mile isn't much and the fact...
  3. P

Thanks everybody. I was able to get it out of the garage by replacing the battery fully. No more ESP error. There is still a yellow engine symbol that stays on while it is running. Seems like an electrical/digital issue I need to have Volkswagen diagnose. My guess is that for whatever reason...
  4. P

I'll try fully attaching the battery. The reason I didn't/couldn't do that was because I didn't realize at the time the battery is bolted down and the bolt is deep down requiring a long reaching arm attachment for a ratchet, which I did not have on me. And the battery lead cables aren't that...
  5. P

I have a '12 TDI SE. The other day I went to start the car in the morning for my commute to work: car won't start, acts like it's low on batteries. I needed to get to work so I just decided to try jump start it. It takes 3 tries, but it worked. Off I went on my roughly 1 hour/18 mile...
  6. P

Hazy film on interior of windshield?

If it is the result of the out-gasing of the plastic dash I guess that's not so bad...plus I kind of like that new car smell (even after 6 months). On the other hand, I have not experienced this with my Honda CR-V back when it was new (although it has a hard plastic dash, not the soft kind the...
  7. P

Hazy film on interior of windshield?

This is a minor issue I've had since Day 1 with my Passat TDI SE: there is a buildup of some sort of oily(?) film on the interior of my windshield. This is barely noticeable and in fact I only notice it on sunny days (rare in Seattle haha). Every time I wipe it away with a cloth it...
  8. P

2012 Passat road noise

I traded in my Hankooks for a value of $70 each (i.e. $280 value) and got the Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires at a local Discount Tire. Try doing the same?
  9. P

2012 Passat road noise

Today I swapped out my Hankooks for Michelin Primacy MXV4s in the 215/55-17 size (H rated). I would say the handling is better but the change in road noise is not night and day.
  10. P

Lighting and Fuel for 2012 Passat?

I haven't noticed the angle of the headlight beams being an issue - but I rarely drive when it's completely dark. That will change soon as Winter is coming though. Three times now I have filled the tank to the point that fuel was coming out over the top and the gauge would ever read at most...
  11. P

Can't Fill Up All The Way!

Maybe it's indicative of an overall lack of attention to quality in their manufacturing process. Basically a small symptom of an overall larger issue like newbie worker managers and engineers since it's a new manufacturing plant.
  12. P

yes I drove quite a bit. I filled up in the morning and had a whole day's commute. It never moved higher than one tick mark below full.
  13. P

Today I pumped some fuel until the pump stopped by itself. I then waited 2-3 minutes then slowly pumped some fuel in. A little more than a gallon went in (about 1.3 gallons) then some fuel started leaking out of the tank spout which is when I stopped. After all that, the fuel gauge read 1...
  14. P

Anyone finance a TDI for 1.9% ?

Any options (sunroof, mats, etc)?
  15. P

Well I went and done it

FYI my car got done with the tinting today. I ended up going with 30% Formula 1 Pinnacle Ceramic film (actual transmission in conjunction with the factory glass measured 24% which is the legal limit for my state). I will post pics soon.