Recent content by Pat Dolan

1. P

3.0 Carbon Cleaning??

Is there a digital only delete option that I can use to sail through next 4 years of warranty? I will be doing all maintenance from now on, but if it needs repair to anything related to emissions (and that means just about anything at all) need to be able to restore stock programming without...
  2. P

3.0 Carbon Cleaning??

Gosh, I completely missed one of the most important bits of information. Just coming up on 80,000 kms. Because of warranty, I will probably not deox anything at least until 2028. Any idea what driving conditions contribute most o buildup?
  3. P

3.0 Carbon Cleaning??

Wife's Q7 TDI still under extended Dieselgate warranty (4 years left to go) but in for its last free oil change/service couple weeks ago. Shop found oil leak around the filter mounting, so offered to rip it apart under warranty and fix the leak. They also offered to blast clean carbon deposits...
  4. P

Tell Us About Your Very 1st Diesel

Sorry I haven't been around much last few years but this thread is about as good a place as any to come back to. My first diesel was our intro car that IIRC was an early 1978 that IIRC was model code 173 (for deluxe) 543 (for 4 door). I wasn't an instant diesel convert, but the mayor of our...
  5. P

Severely Peed off with Bentley Publications

Being an old guy my time with VW and Audi manuals goes a LONG way back. After being inside the VW business I left to move to a city where we wanted to raise a family, and I soon got involved with some guys doing air cooled restorations. We bought up a lot of NOS parts, tools and MANUALS from ex...
  6. P

Renewable Diesel facility - Canada

I work around the SAF situation a fair bit. ANY bio fuel that depends on crop production is IMHO not practical in the long run. SAF has a number of production paths, but the harsh reality is the need for jet fuel is far, far greater than any realistic capacity that is likely to develop - and...
  7. P

Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

$1.109 last fill here but paid $1.189 in SK today, 1.179 in MB last week.
  8. P

used engine oil down the hatch?

It is not something I would do without a LOT of thought and care. The filtration comments are spot on: 1 micron nominal does NOT give you 1 micron results, it means that 99% of particles 1 micron or more will be caught. That 1% could do your pump in. Another thing to consider: filtration...
  9. P

Rotella T6 oil solids separation - safe to use?

What usually occurs over time standing still is additive "dropout" as some is only in suspension, not fully dissolved. BUT: that is usually a little "dusty" sediment - this looks like something altogether different and slimey. Wouldn't use it and would take a careful look at what you already...
  10. P

U.S. Comeback?

I must apologize, I missed your post when it was fresh That is a very large topic (big ship joke, forgive me). Putting a cargo on the water is a very fuel-efficient way of moving stuff, but the real questions are "what are we moving' and "why are we moving it?". Container traffic, for the...
  11. P

Maintaining Turbo Speed During Shifting?

E turbos are not F1 tech, they are available for production cars (not yet aftermarket). Garret is in the lead, but every major turbo manufacturer either has in development or has available electrically assisted turbochargers - even for very, VERY large marine engines. There are also pure...
  12. P

U.S. Comeback?

The electric MOTOR has fewer parts than a poppet valve engine, but there are far simpler engine designs that don't use cylinder heads and have much lower parts count. What IS in an electric car that is far more complex is the battery charging and management systems, and the battery itself...
  13. P

Fixing a barn find

Some kits (the good ones) will include a water pump. Whatever you do, make sure you are getting a European/US/Mexican parts kit, NOT CHINESE GARBAGE!!!!!!. The water pump is a right proper b1tch to get at when all assembled, and the seals last not a bit longer than a belt and idler, so logical...
  14. P

How long will you keep your MK4 TDI?

Our MkIV wagon was the first ordered from Canada (long before there was even a price list) - should explain, we did not get wagons until '03 model year - so I placed order with local dealer winter of 01/02. Took delivery that summer. but since it has been one of several vehicles it has only...
  15. P

Fixing a barn find

Haynes are more like comic books than manuals. You could get a Bentley from Bentley http://www.bentleypublishers.com/volkswagen/repair-information/vw-golf-jetta-gti-99-05-lpv800.html but new ones have become rather pricey. Used ones should be widely available on craiglist, kijiji, ebay or...