Recent content by pastvast

1. P

need help with electrical gremlins

I couldn't round up any of the necessary tools at the office and had hoped to start checking and cleaning grounds when I got home. But, my Jetta died within a mile of leaving work this evening. puffs of smoke... then dead. Thankfully someone helped me push it out of the intersection. Then got...
  2. P

After looking up coolant migration, I was thinking "I'm sooo screwed". But, I looked in the connector and it was quite dry. So... thankfully, I get to focus on the more mundane aspects of finding loose ground connections. I'll see if anyone around here has some tools and a wire...
  3. P

Sorry for the cross-post... but I need answers!! My '03 Jetta currently has a bad infestation of electrical gremlins that showed up last night. Here's what it has been doing (in chronological order): Last night- Battery light goes on Lose all dashboard instruments (spedometer, tachometer...
  4. P

My '03 Jetta currently has a bad infestation of electrical gremlins that showed up last night. Here's what it has been doing (in chronological order): Last night- Battery light goes on Lose all dashboard instruments (spedometer, tachometer, odometer, fuel gauge) Regain all instrument gauges...
  5. P

noise coming from shift stick

This morning on my way into work I noticed an odd (kinda medium pitched) sound eminating from the shift stick whenever I shifted from 2 --> 3 or 4 --> 5 gear (i.e. the "up and over" gears). No noise when going up from other gears and no noise when down shifting from any gear. No problems...
  6. P

Gelled in motion... AGAIN grrrr

My car seems to be running fine now. It still has the tank of gas with a ton of anti-gel stuff in it. So, I guess the real test will be later this week! Apparently some fuel got spilled inside while doing the mod... pheweee. I'm not sure how long it'll be before that smell clears out! I'm...
  7. P

This is why I originally thought it was the fuel in WI: Drove from OH to WI on one tank, was so low that the fuel light was on. Filled up (didn't add any additional additive) at the first gas station off my exit for the WI Dells. The diesel was sold in a different area away from the rest of...
  8. P

Thanks for the link to the post with instructions on drilling out the check valve. Printed it out and DH braved the single digit temps to do that last night (no garage... brrrr). We'll hope that solves the problem. We swapped cars this morning... I'd just had too much excitement with the...
  9. P

I was doing low speed driving around town. Glad to hear that's normal. -Stephanie
  10. P

Let's just say, that I have a love/hate relationship with my Jetta, and this month it's been more HATE than anything else. I've ended up either on the side of the road or limping to my destination due to fuel gelling 3x so far in three weeks. Last week... who would've thought that diesel in...
  11. P

repair shops in Toledo, OH?

Battery light intermittently flashes on (then off). Took car to Autozone to see if it was the battery. No such luck. Supposedly, the alternator is only pumping out 25amps instead of the 100-120amps that it should be. There's also a strange whirring noise, which Jetaah thought might be from...
  12. P

repair shops in Toledo, OH?

My alternator needs some help. Jetaah says that the job can be trusted to a non TDI-guru (he's a 1.5 hr drive away) locally. Anyone here have any experience with shops in the Toledo area? Unfortunately... I only know where NOT to take my car! Thanks! -Stephanie P.S. Sorry for cross-post...
  13. P

repair shops in Toledo?

My alternator needs some help. Jetaah says that the job can be trusted to a non TDI-guru (he's a 1.5 hr drive away) locally. Anyone here have any experience with shops in the Toledo area? Unfortunately... I only know where NOT to take my car! Thanks! -Stephanie
  14. P

windshield washer fluid leak

My windshield wiper fluid is leaking somewhere up front. It's a relatively slow leak, but quick enough that after filling up the resevoir, the low fluid light goes on within 2 weeks. I admit that normally my husband fixes the car, and I'm instructed to stay out of the way. But... after 6...
  15. P

Reciever hitch for 2003 Jetta GL TDI

DH installed a hidden hitch on our/my Jetta wagon. He's hauled 2,000lbs worth of stuff without problem but states that fuel economy drops into the low 30's. I think he paid ~$100 for the hitch and another $50 for the light setup and installed it himself. He spent a couple hours installing it...