Recent content by Pancake Slap

1. Pancake Slap

What did you do to your MKIV today?

Sorry it's been a minute guys I've been busy restoring the RX-8. Decided the wagon needed some love so I decided to dig into some of the strange sounds it was making. Replaced the ac clutch and pulley, it started squealing whenever the power steering added a load. Decided to go ahead with some...
  2. Pancake Slap

Squeal only when ac off

So I'm a little stumped by this one. When going to leave work I turned the wheels before backing up, and noticed a terrible squeal. The sound does not appear when the car is rolling (or possible because it's not audible). I thought for sure this was a power steering issue and went to confirm...
  3. Pancake Slap

I know the one you're talking about. That dude went all out on his. My goal for the wagon is keep it on a budget. Even with the purchase price of the car I'm just under 4k total with everything done for a car I've driven from east to west coast.
  4. Pancake Slap

I mean I can appreciate the effort, but I just prefer clean builds. I always think about one of Jay Leno's cars where he said sometimes stock is best. However, I literally just got out of the tag office because I bought myself another RX-8. It's pretty much the polar opposite of a tdi. At...
  5. Pancake Slap

Thanks! I really loved the wagon for not having perfect paint. While I wanted it to look better, I still wanted to be able to park it up front at stores and not care about things like door dings. I took it to Import Alliance and it got some looks, but alas it didn't have a big wing or anime...
  6. Pancake Slap

I did spray to get the first 2 layers, the. I did a roll on to achieve the texture and cover any striping.
  7. Pancake Slap

Well it's been a minute since I've posted so I guess it's my time to share. Did a bunch to the wagon recently. Dropped in a new radio and speakers all around, took care of some trim pieces in the car, replaced a cv axle, wired the hatch to act like a 5th door, and decided to bed liner the entire...
  8. IMG_20230414_110634011_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230414_110634011_HDR.jpg

9. Pancake Slap

Went to my local junkyard today and pulled a ton of parts. Got a new lay flat vent, headlight, black leather Beetle headrests, new locking mechanism for my tailgate, new wagon taillights, and a pair of reflex silver fenders. All in all it's been a good day. It's raining pretty badly now, so it...
  10. Pancake Slap

So it appears I have the wagon leak free again! I got under it while it was running and saw an alarming amount of oil gushing from around the tandem pump. I had already replaced the valve cover gasket, so I did some digging and decided to check the #5 cam cap. Followed frank06's write up and no...
  11. Pancake Slap

So I've been busy with the wagon. Pulled all they door cards to clean them up real well. Went ahead and installed new speakers all the way around as well as a reverse camera. Pulled the trim to my trunk and replaced the handle. After all this I cranked the car to make sure the battery wasn't...
  12. Pancake Slap

I like to carry a harbor freight torque wrench with a 17mm socket and a tire plug kit. You're thankful when you need it.
  13. Pancake Slap

BEW chugging and loss of power

Here's the listing for the lift pump I got. It's done well so far and the fuel level reads accurately. No telling how long it will last, though. https://www.ebay.com/itm/184550311225
  14. Pancake Slap

BEW chugging and loss of power

Yeah I got a cheap one off of eBay and saved the OEM one. I'll post up the link of the one I got, I'm actually pretty happy with it. Unfortunately the car is down again as more problems have developed. I've been beating myself up about it, but so far I have about $3500 into it including the cost...
  15. Pancake Slap

Need part name asap

If it's a manual you need a different one. I bought one used off eBay. The part number for a manual transmission is 038121133A