Recent content by oilhammer

1. oilhammer

Steering rack replacement, easier without the transmission in the vehicle?

I have a brace running from inner fender to inner fender, holding the flywheel end of the engine via the eyelet in the cylinder head. I'm doing a clutch on a 2003 ALH Jetta today, I'll take some pictures if you like. This is a really easy job, in my opinion... but I've done some much more...
  2. oilhammer

Steering rack replacement, easier without the transmission in the vehicle?

I'd be taking the subframe down for either of those jobs... just too darn easy to do, and makes the rest of the work SO MUCH easier. No need to be afraid of taking the subframe down, it's super easy.
  3. oilhammer

My mechatronic on my dsg went bad 09 jetta tdi

Just run through the applicable Adaptations, no programming.
  4. oilhammer

CBEA/CJAA DPF info

You cannot go by the ash load level numbers, because when the DPF cracks, they are pretty much meaningless. I never bother to check those anymore. It's never (well, almost never) a question of the DPF being "full" on these. And it has nothing at all to do with the fuel pump.
  5. oilhammer

Interior door panels lights stay on

VCDS may help, but I've seen people spill liquids in the door buttons (kids, overzealous detailers, rain from window left open, etc.) that get in there and cause that exact same thing.
  6. oilhammer

BEW Fuel line leak....

The last one I had that was leaking, and I couldn't get a replacement (because, again, NLA new!), I repaired it with a double layer of heat shrink tubing. But it was due to mice chewing a hole in the middle of the darn thing. It was not a leak at any of the end fittings. I know Dorman has...
  7. oilhammer

2012 Jetta TDI Wagen headlight swap with sedan headlights

Oh they're cheaper.... all the body/interior bits on the NCS is cheaper. There's a reason a 2010 Jetta started at $22k and a 2011 Jetta started at $15k. ;) Actually replacement cost wise, they're probably about the same. You have a nicer car than your uncle did. Headlights and all...
  8. oilhammer

A8 D4 Tune/delete question

Well what you could do is call your local Audi dealer, and ask a parts guy to look up the DPF assembly for your car and an A6 and see if it is the same part number (if you have to spoon feed them a VIN, just look up an A6 TDI on Autotrader or something and get its VIN).
  9. oilhammer

A8 D4 Tune/delete question

I would imagine that the parts from one of the other V6 cars would work... the engine and its arrangement is pretty much the same on all the longitudinal cars. Audi A6 & A7(2014+) (rawtekinc.com)
  10. oilhammer

2015 Passat

Probably look for an older one to drive when that one breaks down. ;) This last year, the one-year-only 2015s which I had a reasonably high opinion of, and high hopes for, has been reduced to "meh"... Have two dead 2015 Passats here now. I'd say check the rear calipers for proper operation...
  11. oilhammer

2012 Jetta TDI Wagen headlight swap with sedan headlights

The 2012 J-wagon is the A5 platform with the A6-looking face lift. It is completely different than the 2011+ NCS Jetta sedan, and shares no body parts. Nothing will fit. You may as well be trying to use headlights from a Camry. You have a better car, why want to put cheaper car parts on it?
  12. oilhammer

BEW Fuel line leak....

Or you'll find out after four months it is NLA. Call them and ask... it is a dealer. They all get their parts through the same network. Last one was on Red Order until it got dropped off. Because it is NLA.
  13. oilhammer

Fans Running After Engine Shut-Off (DPF?)

There is no coolant going through the turbocharger. Yes, DPF regens are hard on turbochargers, you can monitor the various EGT sensors with a suitable scan tool. The exhaust gets VERY hot.
  14. oilhammer

Replacing a headliner in my Jetta

You need to remove the rear shelf to get the C-pillar trim loose. The headliner is kind of the very first thing to go in the car, then they stack the trim pieces down from that... so in order to get the headliner out, you have to start at the bottom and go up. I wouldn't say it is...
  15. oilhammer

My mechatronic on my dsg went bad 09 jetta tdi

On the A5s, you'll need to pull the lock carrier into service position... you *can* get the M-unit out that way, as the A/C lines (which will be the limiting factor on how far you can pull the carrier out) are on the opposite end, and on the inside. So you'll only be able to pull that side out...