Recent content by Nutsnbolts

1. Nutsnbolts

Black and Blue Fuel Filter O-Ring Placement ?!?

Franko- I think the reason for the black seal being on the bottom is that the black seal is lubricated by the fuel so that it comes out of the filter easier- you only have to potentially fight the blue O-ring if dirt accumulates around it. If the blue seal were on the bottom, it could hold all...
  2. Nutsnbolts

5th gear

I installed the 6 speed kit onto an 02J for a customer about 10 years ago (may not have been Eurotuning at the time). It was a very well designed kit, and install was hassle free. The customer's review after a few months of driving was similar to what has been reported here- the noise at high...
  3. Nutsnbolts

ALH Brand New VNT17VB Too much Boost

The radio not shutting off could be normal, it generally wont shut off until the key is removed.
  4. Nutsnbolts

Rather than think of the vanes as open or closed, think of them changing the angle of attack of the exhaust gasses on the turbine wheel. The closer to 90 degrees (relative to the turbine) that they get, the less they push on the turbine vanes, and the less boost you get. That is the normal (no...
  5. Nutsnbolts

Electrical demons

If it has an aftermarket radio, they sometimes interfere with canbus communication if they are not installed/wired correctly.
  6. Nutsnbolts

By making the actuating rod shorter, you reduce overall preload on the actuator spring, which makes an overboost problem worse. I would suggest getting a hand vacuum pump with a gauge for the most accurate setting of the actuator preload- the vanes should just start to move at 5 to 5.5" of...
  7. Nutsnbolts

Using settled unfiltered WVO in a 1Z

Indirect-injection engines are far more suitable to WVO because there is more combustion heat and combustion pressure when the fuel is injected. The trouble with our direct-injection TDIis that the compression ratio is low compared to the old IDIs, and the burn temperature is not hot enough...
  8. Nutsnbolts

The 600k exclusive club!

We made it! I've been meaning to post this for a very long time, but on Jan 1 2020 my Jetta finally flipped 600,000 miles at the HO5G GTG. I immediately swapped the cluster to one that I bought in 2011 for just such an occasion, with 1/2 pixel MFA display, leaving the ODO at 0 and starting...
  9. Nutsnbolts

Crankshaft Speed Sensor---- Broke

Great job Andy!
  10. Nutsnbolts

Ho5G 1/1/2020 Food Thread

We will bring a couple of pizzas- if anyone has any topping requests let us know!
  11. Nutsnbolts

Ho5G GTG First of the year 2020 (will this be the last one?)

Christi and I are planning on getting there around noon or so...
  12. Nutsnbolts

Ho5G GTG First of the year 2020 (will this be the last one?)

Christi and I are IN!!! Plan is that we will be flipping 600,000 miles on the silver bullet as we roll in the driveway...PeterV, if you are up for it we would love to have you in the car too, but I know you will have guests to attend to...:D
  13. Nutsnbolts

TDI fest 2019-2020

I would make this trip!!!
  14. Nutsnbolts

No heat over 2000 rpm

I know that you've done this with the prior water pump, but would verify again that the new water pump isn't bad- I know it's been replaced, but what you describe also suggests that the impeller on the shaft is slipping when it gets warm, which was how some pumps would fail- especially those...
  15. Nutsnbolts

Clutch not fully disengaging

This can also happen when the DMF starts to go bad. If the trans comes out, make sure it's all changed when it goes back together- DMF, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, fork, and pivot. I would also do the rear main seal and the transmission input shaft seal while I was in there...