Recent content by Norman

1. Norman

WTB: Mk5-6 JSW rear bumper tow hook cover

Hi, guys Just checking in if anyone is parting out, or selling back to VW, a Platinum Gray JSW with the matching tow hook cover in the lower right corner of the valance, below the red reflector? We bought a JSW without one a bunch of years ago, and I thought now might be the best time to ask if...
  2. Norman

VW Dieselution Tour: Monterey, CA

Here's an opportunity for the north and central coast TDIers to GTG to eyeball the next iterartion of clean TDIs @ Dieselution from 10/19-21/07 . I can't make it because I'll be out of town, but, for those wishing for a GTG, here's your chance. There's also an event planned for Los Angeles, too...
  3. Norman

OEM 15" steel wheels

OEM 15\" steel wheels Set of 4 OE steelies off '00 Golf. Std 5x100 bolt pattern. No tires. $15/wheel + shipping (if not local to the SFBA).
  4. Norman

Goss' Garage on Motorweek (PBS)

Goss\' Garage on Motorweek (PBS) This week' Motorweek/Goss' Garage on PBS TV discusses diesel engine maintenance, with a 2.0 TDI Passat shown, but, the 1.9 intake clogging discussed. MotorWeek #2417 With Host John Davis PBS Broadcast Window Begins December 24, 2004 Road Test: 2005...
  5. Norman

Timing belt GTG: 02/07/04, Ukiah, CA

OK, NorCal TDI-types, there was some discussion last weekend at a face-stuffing shootout about maybe getting a tb gtg going. Since none of the logistics are in place at this time, other than date(s), can we get a gauge of interest for who in these forums would be interested/in need of a...
  6. Norman

OT: 2.0 16v air filter R&I (A2 GLI)

I know a few of you out there have the above engine so I thought I'd take a shot at asking if there's a particular method of getting enough clearance to R&I the air filter? I know you have to undo the four spring clips to separate the upper and lower sections of the airbox, but, the fuel...
  7. Norman

SFBA gtg - 12/07/02

Hi, guys. What say we try and gtg for a suspension install at a local VW shop? I was thinking if the moon and stars all line up we could meet at Tomas Sport Tuning in San Pablo to watch the folks over there put new shocks and springs into First D's wagon. And then maybe we could go for a spin...
  8. Norman

Disable DRL--> dead battery?...

Has anyone here disabled their DRLs(on a MkIV) using the tape-on-the-TFL-pin thing and then had their car battery go dead as a direct result of it? I was having a conversation with a colleague today who had done this to his Jetta wagon, and upon return from a 1.5-2 wk. trip his battery was...
  9. Norman

TDIers have all the fun...

So a few of us TDI guys went for an impromptu little drive after work, when...hey! What's this??! What have we here!!?... Look ma, no hands!!! Is this what they mean by "taking a flyer?" "Let's see your car do a nosestand!" Hey, with this spiffy hill, who needs Rhino Ramps?!... No...
  10. Norman

Cupertino GTG, 05/19/02

Hi, guys Let's welcome MrMetal to earthquake country with a GTG this coming Sunday at Hobee's in Cupertino. It's pretty easy to find; it's in the Oaks shopping center at the intersection of Stevens Creek Blvd and Hwy 85, across the street from DeAnza College (you know, where they just...
  11. Norman

Chevron Delo400 synthetic oil analysis (10k miles interval)

Could the oil gurus amongst us please comment on the following analysis taken off a '00 Golf w/ 30K miles, Upsolute chip, Original Tuning Box and K&N drop in filter? The sample was used in the vehicle for almost exactly one year at the stated interval. 70+% of mileage during that time...
  12. Norman

Golf dash vent control backlighting?

So I was talking with another Fred's member last night, and he pointed out that my '00 A4 Golf's dash vent control (the one that controls the flow of air up near the top) isn't backlit, like on his Jetta. Well, I don't ever recall them being backlit, so can any other A4 Golf owners confirm that...
  13. Norman

Nothing special...

Sharp looking Golf, but I gotta ask that same old question...how is the IC ducting routed with the right foglight in place? Does the manufacturer say anything about placement on a TDI or 1.8T? Very nice looking Golf, though! (Y)
  14. Norman

Yet another noise...fuel filler neck area

Has anyone experienced sort of a "tinkling" sound from the area behind the right rear passenger seat, below the shelf support, in the area inside the wheelwell where the filler neck for the fuel tank is? I've taken pretty much everything apart inside and outside (incl. wheelwell liner) and...
  15. Norman

Tailpipe output question

Perhaps someone can answer something that I've been wondering about for a while; with the cooler temps upon us it's pretty easy to spot the cars out on the road with cold engines, but what about the TDI? I've never seen white vapors or condensation coming out the back of the car; is there a...