Recent content by nh nam vet

1. N

The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

tdd, FYI, CrazyQuantumMan has a web site tdivw.com with a link to his AWD build which he wrote up on the VWVortex: TDI Synchro 4-MO Passat
  2. N

Todd, your B4 is looking improved. Awesome, brother. A couple of years ago, I bought a couple of the splash guards for the water pump for my DD and back up plan, but I haven't installed them yet. Good for you. Going over puddles without the belly pan guarantees loss of (power) steering. It...
  3. N

Head Gasket Block Prep

Pics worked for me, but then again I live in southern NH, a couple of miles south of Dave. Maybe distances matter if you don't drive a TDI. Dave, keep up the contributions; we all appreciate the incentive, motivation and stimulus to work on these old but truly rewarding to drive machines...
  4. N

Rear Springs

I have used the Suplex brand of rear coil springs surrounding my rear Bilstein struts on my DD 1997 Passat (now at 383,000 miles) with no issues. Price really isn't the issue, the labor is. It is a lot of work to replace rear struts on the 1997 Passat. Dismantalling the rear interior is a...
  5. N

timing belt change replacement procedure

Hey diesel steve, The best advice that I can give you is to watch these two youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mQ-tA-fSQs Part 1 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy5ugRg927U Part 2. In February 2017, I used my Toshiba...
  6. Extracting broken M8 bolts

Extracting broken M8 bolts

7. New HB bolts installed

New HB bolts installed

8. Broken M8 bolts

Broken M8 bolts

9. N

I don't know how, but my DD 1997 B4 TDI surpassed 350K miles: Does anyone make transportation appliances that will run 350k miles now? I have to figure that every one who passes me on the highway now at [75 - 85 MPH) is making payments for 5 -7 years. Blissful life in 2018. My back up...
  10. firstimport_017

firstimport_017

11. N

B4 suddenly running rough, weird injector balance

Abacus, You and your family is all that matters. VAG has deceived the world. You can leave VW's & TDI's in your rear view mirror with no issues. Live your life. Jeff
  12. N

Following the example of 97B4TDi, yesterday I took advantage of our January micro-thaw and rotated my tires and washed my DD, now at 346,800 miles. The all season General Altimax RT43 tires were installed in July 2016, shortly after I had a local shop install the LF tie rod assembly. I had put...
  13. N

Today I did not have to go to work, it wasn't snowing and the sun was out and the temps were above freezing here in New Hampshire. I deemed this a perfect December scenario to tackle B4 TDI issues in the garage. My DD, which just turned 346K, had a rarely seen (and annoying) dash cluster CEL...
  14. N

Good progress, Todd. I've bought a $250 1996 TDI B4 junker that doesn't look that good. Keep moving forward. I always appreciate your posts! Jeff Gerst
  15. N

Mark, Welcome back. We talked about PTSD in PM's previously. Most non-veterans are conveniently clueless and unsympathetic to returning war veteran issues As another war veteran, I just wanted to say many thanks for your service to America. I am wishing you the best and a gradual...