Recent content by Nathanael Greene

1. Nathanael Greene

Engine oil leak on intake/turbo side of bew engine block

The turbo has an oil feed line on top that comes around the driver side of the engine from just under the oil filter, and a return line in the bottom. Which end of the block is it on, driver or passenger? For Photos: How To Post A Photo Nate
  2. Nathanael Greene

Testing The Glowplug Relay

Ok Software Part Number is 038 997 016 R, and Software Version is 0282. So if I understand correctly, I should be using 7v plugs, which I am. Nate
  3. Nathanael Greene

I started having rough starts this early winter. I takes a little too long to start, and then it smokes and runs rough for a short time, but once it is warmed up it runs like a top. So I started checking things out. The first time I checked the codes, I had a glow plug circuit code, I thought I...
  4. Nathanael Greene

Ok, previous post is incorrect. I did the test of the harness voltage again, and realized I was getting 6-8 mV DC, It's a new multimeter, so I wasn't used to the auto scaling feature. So my guess is that the relay is quite bad. Also weird thing, I went and checked out Measuring Block 012 for...
  5. Nathanael Greene

So I tested the blue and black wire, and it was getting a reading with the meter set on AC, the weird thing is that it didn't stop ever. So I also checked the harness voltage, and same thing, I got 8v, but it only goes away after I turn the key off. Is there a way to test the glow plugs in the...
  6. Nathanael Greene

Hi Folks, I have been trying to trouble shoot my glow plug system, but when I unplug the CTS, the indicator light only stays on for 4 seconds instead of 20 like the 101 guide says it will, would this be a relay problem? Is there a way to test the signal going to the relay telling it to turn on...
  7. Nathanael Greene

Odd Glow Plug Behavior

Correction, as you can see in the above scan: Code 00149 was actually for end of line coding not completed. The right hand windshield wiper motor code is 00152. Nate
  8. Nathanael Greene

Odd Glow Plug Behavior

Hi folks, Ive got my glow plugs on my 04 wagon, BEW, stumping me. I went through all the different tests in the glow plugs 101, however even with the CTS unplugged, my glow plug light only stays on about 4 seconds at most. And I can only get a blip of voltage for a fraction of a second. Is this...
  9. 4DCC619C-BA6A-46CB-99A7-88222FFA1258.png

4DCC619C-BA6A-46CB-99A7-88222FFA1258.png

Engine Codes
  10. Nathanael Greene

Another PD hard start thread

Also had a friend that had a finicky connection on a injector, so it ran really rough at start up, but he had lots of codes from that, that had to be cleared before it would run smooth after warming up. You can read about it here: Injector Malfunction - Sometimes Nate
  11. Nathanael Greene

Did you clean the grounds yet? My brother's car would not even start it would turn over but not start at all for 2 months we tried all sorts of things, and then as soon as we cleaned the grounding points, it started right up.
  12. Nathanael Greene

So I had the same problem on my BEW, it was hard to start, and it sounded like it was misfiring right after start. I did lots of thing to try and fix it, I even had a bad lift pump, but that wasn't the problem. The two things I did that changed it were cleaning the grounding contacts on the...
  13. Nathanael Greene

Injection quantity deviation

On posting a photo: Posting Photos Nate
  14. Nathanael Greene

Injection quantity deviation

I had a Jetta doing that but more extreme, it was a loos/finicky injector connector on the one with the overinjection. Mine looked something like this though: Cyl.1 2.99mg\str Cyl.2 -1.73mg\str Cyl.3 -1.40mg\str Cyl.4 -1.34mg\str It seams that it's something the car does to...
  15. Nathanael Greene

How to post a photo, I know I've seen it someplace

Thanks, I'm glad it's was clear and helpful. That makes more sense, I wasn't sure if it was an error icon, or if I just wasn't getting what it was supposed to be. Nate