Recent content by mustangmarty

1. M

WTB Metal Thermostat Housing

Where can I get a metal thermostat housing for 1996 Passat w/AHU engine?
  2. M

Cause For Overheating and Exhaust Gasses in Coolant???

Yup... crickets... Just coming to the realization that to do this right is going to be a lot more than I’m prepared to do right now. Just gonna put it back together best I can and park it for a few years.
  3. M

What Rod Bearings Size Do I Need?

The rod journals on my 1996 AHU are 47.20mm. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the standard rod journal size is 47.80mm. The rod bearings that are in there now have these markings on the back side: S3B 2494 m 12 11 050 Am I correct in thinking my rod journals are 0.60mm undersized and...
  4. M

I messaged Franko6 but haven’t heard back from him yet. Does anyone know a ballpark figure for what he might charge for straightening a head as well as shipping each way and down time? Also, might anyone know of a reputable place to do the same job in Central Texas?
  5. M

What size and grit ball hone would be best for this? I’m thinking 3-1/4” 320 grit?
  6. M

Other than a slight exhaust leak pushing coolant out, it was running fine. Was still getting me over 50 mpg. It would put out a puff of black smoke on start-up, but didn’t smoke any after that. I wasn’t noticing any oil loss either. The valve guides and valve seals were all worn out though...
  7. M

Also, might this kind of scoring have just happened when the engine overheated? Or was the guy I bought the car from blowing smoke up my butt when he told me the engine had been rebuilt just 40k miles ago?
  8. M

Thanks for that info. I spoke to the machine shop today. They don’t have an oven like that so the only thing they can do is shave the head to make it true. When I asked about how this would affect the cam journals, he said that he would be shaving less than five thousandths and that I would be...
  9. M

I’ve never heard that before about resurfacing these heads. So how do you “straighten” a head like these? I ordered head studs as well for the same reason.
  10. M

Scoring on wall of cylinder 1 directly beneath head gasket leak between cylinders 1 and 2
  11. M

Bottom of head gasket between cylinders 1 and 2
  12. M

Top of head gasket between cylinders 1 and 2
  13. Head Gasket Between 1 and 2

Head Gasket Between 1 and 2

Bottom
  14. Head Gasket Between 1 and 2

Head Gasket Between 1 and 2

15. Cylinder Wall

Cylinder Wall

Number 1 cylinder wall right under head gasket leak