Recent content by mtbsteve

1. M

Will this forum exist after everyone in the US (some day Canada) takes the buyout

Maybe a vocal minority of the members of this forum but the majority (~80% so far) of owners are selling back. Here is a quote and I am guessing more people will be registering over time... from Jalopnik article today...
  2. M

life expectancy of front brake pads?

Around 70k for front pads and rotors, rotors were the main issue and were actually bad much sooner, noticed lots of warp related vibrations 50k or sooner. Never touched the rears, they are still good up to 85k but probably in need of attention soon. Mine is now parked too. Oilhammer, PM...
  3. M

Hyundai buyback offer

I bought my replacement a month ago so can't take advantage. Not too hurt though since the discount off of MSRP when all Hyundai dealer discounts, rebates and federal/state tax credits are accounted = ~39%+ off, roughly $39680 down to $24000. That was on a 2016 Sonata Limited Plug In Hybrid...
  4. M

Passat Replacement based cabin size?

Loving (a very strong term for a PHEV) my Sonata Limited plug in hybrid so far. Even in an area with high electric rates it is working out well. Turns out the 27 miles of electric range is understated, usually can get 4-5 more if I am in stop and go traffic so this covers half of my commute...
  5. M

Buyback question

I believe I saw that the buyback $ does not show as income and no state or federal taxes collected. As for buying another car, I do not believe it counts as a trade. For instance, say you bought a $30k MSRP car in MA and you were trading in a car worth $12k. You would only pay sales tax on...
  6. M

Absolutely. One thing that has been validated for me is the advice to sit in as many cars as possible to see what works. Numbers on a web page or video reviews by people who are a completely different body type only tell a part of the story. Also, mfgs don't use the same standards when...
  7. M

I agree. Add to the mix that those of us who bought the car when it came out that the competition has improved beyond where the Passat was when it launched which at the time was very competitive. The 6, Fusion, new Malibu and Sonata all drive really well. I guess people on here forget that the...
  8. M

Invisible Bra Installed

My 2012 is black and it looks like a black/silver front fading to black colored car now. The thin line is nothing compared to the damage on my car unprotected. Seriously considering doing this to whatever my replacement car will be.
  9. M

VW Dieselgate engineer sings like a canary: Entire design team was in on it

The main issue and what people fail to realize in this argument is that those cars you mention can all be fixed to a point where they only pollute within the range they were originally designed to and most likely within government limits at the time they were released. That is all you can...
  10. M

VW Dieselgate engineer sings like a canary: Entire design team was in on it

One of the things I miss now living in an urban area, hot rods and old cars cruising around. That smell brings me back to when we would cruise in the various old cars my dad had while I was growing up. 57 Chevy, 67 Camaro and 68 Firebird... That, and going to car shows. Love that smell!
  11. M

I posted these long comments over on Vortex but this thread is probably a better place. Not sure if people get upset at cross posting but to me it is all useful info. You can view the whole discussion or 2 of my posts below. Hope it helps those looking for a replacement based on interior...
  12. M

Yes, valid point on recouping the higher cost vs hybrid equivalent, it is very much part of my search. Same can be said for when I bought the Passat, when you add in maintenance and specific things that went wrong on the diesel side of things, it was a wash vs a 2.5. The only saving grace is...
  13. M

I have driven a 2015 Accord Hybrid touring so I know the size well. The funny thing with the Accord was that I felt like I could not get the seat into a comfortable position. I agree with the rear space, it is pretty good and would be acceptable whereas the Fusion, 6 and even 2016 Malibu are a...
  14. M

Nice, I was wondering what you bought after I saw another post of yours. That is probably about the closest match you can get vs the Passat TDI. More power (1 second faster to 60), plenty of space and great mpgs. No hate from me as I am looking into hybrids as well. My reality check comes...
  15. M

My 2013 Passat TDI may have been totalled

I have read the same but with one very important condition. The cars will be available for sale but only if an approved fix is released. Can't even be exported legally as is (a lot of people think this isn't the case). Given that they have yet to come up with a solution it seems like a lot of...