Recent content by MRO1791

1. M

Cruze Diesel is rated at 52 mpg highway in stick version, 37 mpg combined

If we found that temperatures were going down, would they want us to emit more CO2 to counter it? Global cooling would be more devastating than warming.. but that aside.. the emissions limits by the EPA are not CO2, per se (closest to that would be CAFE and MPG targets). The NOx emissions that...
  2. M

If, and only IF Trump guts the EPA, over the objections of his Al Gore loving daughter. The VW decision to stop all TDI's in North America after the cheat was to appease the Environmental activists/EPA and to minimize the massive fines that could have been imposed (they promised to put R&D $$$...
  3. M

I think I can answer from experience with the 1 Gen Cruze TD, and former 2012 Jetta TDI.. Its all emissions control. If the VW's were not cheating, I would bet they would see similar numbers. The compliant emissions demands higher EGTs to work, so in idle and city driving you burn fuel just...
  4. M

NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

In contrast, my second Cruze Diesel, which I bought used.. it has had a misfuel, and was run until is stopped with multiple MIL (according to records I was able to attain).. Bad fuel replaced, and MIL cleared, and the HPFP is OK, no need to replace. The cam roller is a HORRIBLE design. The...
  5. M

Here is the thread on the CP3 conversion kit. 2micron is a solid guy, and this kit has been out there awhile, I almost bought one for my 2012, but instead traded it for the Cruze CTD. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=367804
  6. M

There have been failures on the 2013 and newer, and some without a mis-fuel. The mis-fuel was a giant VW smokescreen to cover for a crappy design (They saved $600 per car for the new HPFP over the CP3 pump... and the emissions cheat only saved about $330 per car..so that is called a pattern)...
  7. M

I have two 2015 Cruze Diesels, it is a great car. That 2014 with 30k miles at $12K is worth looking at. My second car bought used had about 45K miles, according to records had only preventative maintenance on the engine, and some minor issue with the driver door locking mechanism. The other...
  8. M

Well said, and applies to the emissions cheat as well.. it was years of denials, when certainly someone inside VW knew the cars were intentionally designed to cheat. They also know quite well, most cars will survive past 120K and 10 years on the original horrible HPFP, they know this from...
  9. M

Interesting article.. and note the comments from the radical anti-ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) people chiming in. I commented on another forum about this, and that VW going away from Diesel and to EVs, hybrids.. was to appease the anti-ICE people, many of whom are in regulatory agencies...
  10. M

That is interesting, and it would be good to see the technology continue to get better. I did some math on that 200 miles, with 30 minute charge stops. Compare to a typical gas car, assuming 400 mile stops, and 15 minute fuel time. If both did highway speed of 60 MPH, and total trip was...
  11. M

So then why does VW claim the failures are due to mis-fuel and require that ridiculous fuel guard? I don't think VW would admit the pump is sensitive to damage with a mis-fuel if is was robust, the basically admit it is easy to damage, and this is one area where I don't think they are lying...
  12. M

Great points, here is another. Tesla makes a premium car, it is no doubt a nice car, has decent range also.. but after it reaches its need for a charge, how long does it take to recharge? Thus the limit for many Americans that like to take multi-state road trips to vacation and visit family...
  13. M

Well said, experiences do vary, but I've had good and bad cars from GM, and the VW Jetta, it was mostly good, but had the crappy HPFP that was put there to save $600 per car, they cheated emissions to save about $300 per car.. what other corners did VW cut? Look, I liked the Jetta, the DSG for...
  14. M

To summarize, VW will do all it can to avoid being responsible, and the culture has not changed, despite the exposure of the emissions cheat. The mis-fuel guard was always a cover up for an inferior pump that had no business in the US ULSD fuel market, period. It is a ticking time bomb in...
  15. M

Since I normally do all my own work post warranty, I don't worry too much.. but I get your concern. Some dealerships are better than others, and not all VW dealerships have the best track record. My dealer doing the warranty work repairs has done well, and as it turns out, they have a former...