Recent content by Mirage

1. Mirage

2005 Passat Wagon TDI Manual -- Synchro Out

Yes, I sold the car. I'm finally getting back in here. I think spoonman4 will take good care of this machine. I see he's already tracking it on Fuelly. Very cool!
  2. Mirage

I could have fixed my link, but then somebody went and quoted it. I completely reworked my post and fixed my link.
  3. Mirage

The sale is over, guys. The car was SOLD very quickly. Thanks for the help in selling it! Guys, the 5th gear synchro went out in my FHN and I was using synchromesh. Even adding LSD friction modifier isn't helping. I'm done playing with high-mileage European transmissions and I'm playing with...
  4. Mirage

Turn off "Brake Pads" light?

Useful information, guys. I know that this is an old thread, but thanks!
  5. Mirage

HELP - question on 2005 Passat starter wire routing

I'm reassembling my 2005 Passat wagon, now that I've got the manual transmission installed. As I went to put the starter in, I wound up with a very similar question. So, I thought I would share what I've found and see if anybody else has similar notes/experience. There is a pair of wires...
  6. Mirage

Mystery Spring

Thanks, Boxbeam. It's obviously meant to help return the pedal from about halfway to the top. Below half way, it likes to help the pedal downwards -- but this is without fluid in the system or a clutch pressure plate to push back on it. It makes sense that the hydraulic system requires the...
  7. Mirage

Mystery Spring

Thanks, guys, the diagram explained most of it. The rest was a little bit of monkeying around to see what fits. I oriented the plastic parts so that the holes were in the higher position, giving more space for the clutch master cylinder. Here it is assembled. Making good progress, here...
  8. Mirage

Mystery Spring

Awesome! I'll post some photos in a bit...
  9. Mirage

Mystery Spring

I'm working on the auto-to-manual transmission swap on my wagon. I found this spring while I was sorting through the parts I bought from Frans. Does anybody know what this is for? Is it something related to the clutch pedal?
  10. Mirage

ALH Windage tray in BS Delete

All, I posted this information on MyTurboDiesel, and meant to put a copy here. Here it is: I asked around for some suitable springs and some friends threw some my way, most of which were unsuitable, including super-stiff valve springs from a Chrysler big-block! I was picking up some...
  11. Mirage

5 Speed conversion went very well until...

Cool! I'm SLOWLY working on mine. I can't even give mine a whole weekend at a time. I got my balance shaft delete done and finally got the auto out of it today. Tomorrow morning I'll be taking some things apart on the interior...
  12. Mirage

ALH Windage tray in BS Delete

I understand why. I've placed the windage tray in my oil pan to see whether the oil pan might hold it in place. It may provide some damping by scraping on the sides, but I don't think it will effectively hold the windage tray. I can easily move the tray 3/4" into the pan. The walls in the...
  13. Mirage

Dealing with BeachedBora....

I bought a braided turbo oil line from him last summer when I replaced my headgasket. It was the best price to replace the crappy OE steel line that always gets boogered, and it got here fast. I just ordered my balance shaft delete kit from him. The price was $5 more than his main competitor...
  14. Mirage

Toyota Tacoma ALH Swaparoo!!

Great project and a great thread, JimBote!
  15. Mirage

Non VW Transmission for behind the 2.0 TDI

At the risk of further hijacking the thread, here's where you can find further information on the Suburban (aka: the Zombie Apocalypse Command Center): -I wrote a book on it: The Art of Diesel: Building an Efficient Family Hauler (Kindle and Paperback versions available) -Some detail went...